Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.
About the course
This four-week course provides an overview of wine business. Students will develop an appreciation of the realities of the wine business as a business and come to understand the steps required for getting from the vineyard and into the glass of the consumer.
- LO1: Understand the components of a wine business and the viewpoints of the various stakeholders in the following areas:
- Grape growing, including costs, values, quality considerations, supply and demand, risks and opportunities
- Production, winemaking, maturation and packaging
- Distribution, a complex and highly regulated process
- Domestic sales, selling wine in retail stores (off-premise), restaurants and bars (on premise), online and direct to consumer (through tasting rooms, events and wine clubs)
- LO2: Understand how going to market with wine compares and contrasts with other consumer packaged goods.
- LO3: Understand the key decision points, interrelatedness and costs that go into growing, producing, marketing, distributing and selling a wine product.
- LO4: Outline how quality and value is determined at each step in the process of grape growing, production, marketing, distribution, domestic and export sales and final point of sale.
- LO5: Understand the financial resources and time periods necessary to establish a wine product.