Who should attend
This course is for anyone who wants to learn about visual communication and its influence on a variety of mediums.
About the course
Exploring the exciting world of Visual Communication, in its many and changing forms, this course will give you both understanding and practical experience. From Posters, Packaging and Signage, to Social Media and Websites, we will learn how Visual Communication informs the way we see the world, and how you can use it to say what you want to say, in a way that will be heard.
Visual Communication brings together many different specialist areas, including Illustration, Typography and Photography; we will explore them individually, and see how to put them together for greatest impact. As well as the Creative process, we will look at Software and Production. A practical assignment will be set, to be discussed next session.
- Principles of Design and Visual Literacy
- Composition and Layout
- Using and adjusting Photographs and making composites
- Analysis and Assessment of Visual Communication
- Professional Workflow and working to a Brief
By the end of this course you will have:
- Acquired basic skills to create Designs which are impactful and individual
- Been introduced to the Principles of Design and Visual Literacy
- The ability to Analyse Visual Communication and Design
- A better understanding of Project Development from Concept through to Production
- Been introduced to how Production informs Design
- Basic knowledge of the practical use of Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
Steven David Johnson is Professor of Visual and Communication Arts at EMU in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley. His photography of the natural world has appeared in Orion, BBC Focus Magazine, Ranger Rick, National Science Teachers Association Press books, a National Geographic Kids book, and numerous ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.