Who should attend
The course is ideal for anyone with an interest in fabrics and curiosity as to how they are made. You may be starting in the textile industry or considering a career in buying, sales or garment design and want to know more about the fabrics that make clothes.
About the course
We are all surrounded by fabrics every day of our lives and, whether interested in fashion or not, we are aware of the continuous reinvention of new colours, patterns and designs in fabrics. But what do you know about the fibres that fabrics are made from and the processes involved to make them? How are the colours and designs applied? What would you look for in selecting a fabric for yourself or for a customer?
In this course, you will learn about the different types of fibres, both natural and synthetic, and the processes involved to create the wide variety of fabrics manufactured commercially. Each week will be composed of lively online workshops, discussions, individual assignments, personal feedback from your tutor and further information on the making of textile fabrics.
By the end of this course you will have:
- Learned about raw materials for textiles and where they come from
- Understood what it means that a fabric is woven or knitted, dyed or printed
- Learned the properties of fabrics, how they can be enhanced and what they can be used for
- Developed an understanding of the environmental impact of textile raw materials and their processing
- Learned the terminology used in fabric processes and be able to explain what happens in the making of fabrics
- Understood how you go about analysing a fabric to find out how it is made and what it is made from
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Paulette Colman has had a highly successful career working in textile design, retail and garment manufacturing for over 40 years, the last 20 years as Fabric Director for a major garment maker to major UK and international brands. She has worked in particular in the area of product development – ...
Read more about Digital Transformation
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.