Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with CIPD.Full disclaimer.
About the course
Learn how to successfully manage your team in a way that will involve and inspire them to achieve organisational goals.
This course will also give you a good understanding of the roles and responsibilities of being a manager, and help you tackle new responsibilities with confidence.
Having skilled and effective managers is crucial to any organisation’s success. This course will help you understand the role of the manager and the responsibilities this carries, as well as your own approach to working with others and leading a team.
After this course, you'll be able to:
- describe the modern manager’s role
- identify your preferred management style and its impact on your team and organisation
- explore tools and techniques to manage yourself, what motivates you and how to self-develop
- explore tools to effectively manage, support, motivate and develop your team
- apply the principles of assertive communication, delegation and giving feedback
- outline a development plan to maximise learning from the programme
- explore management theories and how to flex your management style
- recognise the characteristics of effective teams and how to motivate different individuals
- explain the life cycle of a team and the challenges of managing dispersed teams
- explains some tools to manage change
- What’s different about managing people (Moving on to Managing People)
- The roles & responsibilities, and complexities of the manager
- Explore tools and techniques to manage oneself
- ‘What makes you tick’; major motivational theories and what this means for the individual manager and their direct reports
- Establishing a personal responsibility for self-development, constructing a development plan.
Getting the Job Done & Managing the Individual
- Practising using tools and techniques to manage day to day work
- The role of assertive communication in getting the job done and managing others
- The principles of induction, supervision and appraisal (cycle)
- Good practice in setting objectives and delegating, and how these support the performance management cycle
- Practising setting objectives
- The role of the manager in identifying learning needs
- Creating a template for 1:1 discussions
- The role of giving (and receiving) feedback in managing performance
- Practising giving feedback through role plays.
Managing the Team
- Management theories as a means to understand natural management styles and their effects on the individual
- The need to vary management styles to the motivational and development needs of different individuals and situations
- How to motivate the poor and good performer
- The need to foster a positive team atmosphere
- The contribution of all team members with their different team styles
- The life cycle of a team
- Consensus decision making – its advantages and disadvantages and its role
- The challenges of managing a virtual or dispersed team
- Tools and techniques to manage change.
Who should attend
Introduction to People Management is ideal for those who are:
- new to management
- recently promoted to the manager role
- have been a manager for just a short while
- are managing small to medium size teams
- aspiring to the role.
Trust the experts
Scott is an award winning creative, imaginative and commercially focused leadership, management and personal development expert. Scott has provided consultancy services for 100’s of different organisations in the private, public and voluntary sectors of the last 10 years through his business The ...
Jon is a seasoned professional in the related fields of leadership, teams and organisational performance improvement. His approach is grounded in a long business career, starting out as a graduate trainee at Procter & Gamble and moving through middle to senior management in the publishing ind...
EPIC helps people and places to Evolve, Perform, Improve and Compete. I’m Gary Cookson – a portfolio HR, OD and L&D Director doing a mix of self employed, associate and freelance work. I’m a CIPD Chartered Fellow, a Fellow of the Learning and Performance Institute, a qualified coach and mem...