Who should attend
This course is for anyone interested in the apparel of textile industry. You may be already working in the industry as a designer, manufacturer, garment technologist, buyer or merchandiser, or perhaps you are a student who wants to gain a good understanding of care labelling. This course is also useful if you are thinking of setting up your own clothing business.
About the course
Care labels provide small solutions to potentially big problems in the apparel and textile industries. A good understanding of different types of care labels and why they are important can help you in your day to day work in garment design and development.
On this course, you will learn how to write your own care labels, how to meet legal requirements and avoid product liability by following care label codes. You will learn how to create clear and concise labelling without the need for detailed technical knowledge. You will also be introduced to sustainable garment care, different washing techniques and the laundry symbols that go with them.
You will learn in weekly online classes that include discussions about the different factors that you need to take into consideration when learning how to make care labels. You will gain an insight into how to wash different garments, including specialist cleaning for fabrics such as leather and suede.
By the end of the course, you will have a better understanding of the role that care labels play across various careers in the apparel and textile industries, including garment technologists and fabric cleaners as well as designers and manufacturers. This course is perfect for anyone who would like to learn more about care labels for garments, whether you are already working in the textile industry, studying a related subject or looking to start your own apparel business.
By the end of the course you will have;
- Developed confidence in creating and approving care labels and care instructions
- A good understanding of all available garment labels and when to use these
- A good understanding of the care label systems, requirements and symbols
- Developed confidence in carrying out a due diligence test or a risk assessment on a product
- An insight into washing, laundering, dry cleaning, wet cleaning and specialist cleaning
- A good understanding of common pitfalls and misuses in aftercare and how to avoid product liability
- A clear idea of sustainability attributes available in product aftercare and how was can design and develop to help product longevity
- Care instructions, warnings and information tags; permanent labels, removable labels, swing tickets/secondary swing tickets etc.
- Writing care instructions; rules and requirements and how to avoid product liability.
- What to consider when deciding care instructions
- What consumers are interested in post purchase e.g. shape retention, ironing, durability, ease of maintenance etc.
- Understanding European care labelling systems and care symbols
- Overview of Domestic washing and laundering
- Overview of Dry cleaning and wet cleaning
- Overview of Specialist cleaning; suede/leather
- Introducing eco-friendly attributes and sustainability to garment aftercare
- Common pitfalls and misuses in care labelling
- How garment longevity can be improved and some useful tips on garment after care
- Guide to fabric performance codes
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.