Who should attend
This program is designed for managers and executives involved in hiring decisions, leading teams or strategic planning projects.
About the course
Within virtually every organization, there is a desire to increase inclusion and diversity - both for the strength derived from embracing differences and because it's simply the right thing to do.
Success in these endeavours requires more than implementing strategies and policies. We must first address the unconcious biases inherent in human nature that leaders use as the basis for decisions and actions within the workplace.
This instructor-led half-day program draws on Catalyst’s global expertise on inclusive workplaces. You'll explore the latest research on why employees, managers, and leaders make the choices they do along with the consequences to your business. Then, you'll discover actions you can take to be intentional and inclusive in your leadership style in order to foster an inclusive workplace with improved innovation and team citizenship.
What you will learn:
- Awareness: Discover your implicit preferences based on unconscious positive and negative associations.
- Acceptance: Learn how stereotypes and unconscious bias influence your perceptions and actions.
- Attention: Explore how bias impacts the way you perceive and interact with others, while considering the larger implications for the organization and its talent decisions.
- Action: Master strategies to mitigate these biases, reinforce a culture of inclusion, and positively impact business results.
By attending this program, participants will gain insight into biases and mental associations that unconciously impact their decisions and actions.
You will gain an appreciation for how bias can influence choices and drive behaviours that negatively impact individuals and the organization's ability to fully leverage its talent.
You will learn strategies to mitigate the impact of bias and hold yourself (and the organization) accountable going forward, returning to work with a personal inclusive leadership strategy designed to help you put new insights and strategies into action.
In-Person Program – Toronto
- Develop awareness of how mental models influence our perceptions.
- Explore our defensive reaction to bias through discussion of Implicit Association Test experiences.
- Gain an appreciation for how bias, if left unchecked, can influence our attitudes about a person or group and our subsequent behaviours and actions.
- Explore confirmation bias and the dangers of "trusting your gut".
- Learn to spot bias in the way you identify and develop talent.
- Learn the Inclusive Leadership Behaviour framework, including strategies to mitigate the impact of bias by promoting inclusive behaviours and intentional action.
- Craft your personal inclusive leadership strategy.
Tanya van Biesen is Executive Director of Catalyst Canada, the leading global nonprofit working to accelerate progress for women through workplace inclusion. In this capacity, Tanya is responsible for leading the growth of Catalyst’s operations in Canada, shaping strategies to advance Catalyst’s ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.