Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Schulich Executive Learning Centre.Full disclaimer.
About the course
Learn practical and adaptive strategies for informing and influencing others – no matter where they fit within the organizational structure.
Study the foundation of high-trust, high functioning departments and apply advanced communication strategies to shape effective messages and positively influence relationships. Understand and practise the characteristics of ideal communicators. Identify and use speaking goals to guide selection of the appropriate oral communication channel. Understand the four basic behavioural styles and how to manage each. Analyze an audience to address listeners’ needs, wants, priorities, and goals. Quickly and skillfully rephrase blunt wording for enhanced effectiveness. Tune into non-verba lcommunication channels. Recognize and avoid common communication mistakes and conflicts. Adopt techniques for building rapport and achieving trust from your colleagues. Learn real-life situation definition and diffusing skills. Leverage communication-based insights into the teambuilding process. Determine when to appropriately use direct and indirect messages.
Analyzing and Building Better Work Relationships
- Building rapport and trust with your colleagues, management and staff
- Fundamental competencies needed to achieve solid work relationships
- Using communication and thinking style preferences to influence and motivate
Intentions versus Perceptions
- Learning-styles and their impact on workplace choices
- Creating network maps to maximize community and minimize resistance
- When and how to most effectively use assertive verbal and nonverbal behaviours
Intrapersonal and Interpersonal Communication Skills in Action
- How values, beliefs, attitudes and expectations impact workplace-specific trust and respect
- Avoiding communication mistakes such as misinterpretation or ineffective listening
- Six laws of persuasion to successfully make your case
Understanding and Working with Others More Effectively
- Identifying your personal communication style – how you usually relate to others
- Assessing and adapting to changes in work relationships and the work environment
- How emotions can successfully translate into workplace emotional intelligence
Persuasion and Influencing Skills That Work in Any Situation
- True Colors® self-assessment: an easy and accurate model of personality identification
- Recognizing short- and long-term implications of communication choices
- Communicating with increased confidence in different media
Team Success Strategies
- Nine high-impact techniques to make decisions by team consensus
- Identifying strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities in your workplace teams and sub-teams
- Negotiating mutually beneficial outcomes and following through
Managing Change and Conflict
- Internal and external forces that impact your perspective on conflict
- Five ways that people deal with conflict
- Developing a comprehensive knowledge of the attitudes, beliefs and values individuals bring to workplace relationships
Key Strategies: Decision Making and Problem Solving
- Decision making as a strategic and systematic process
- The five elements in a systematic decision-making process
- A six-step methodology to make sound decisions
Who should attend
The design of this course has been informed by work with over 15,000 business professionals throughout North America. It is perfect for managers, directors, supervisors and team leaders in any functional area.
Trust the experts
Biography Diana Kawarsky specializes in business communications for Schulich’s Executive Education Centre, York University. In addition, she is a facilitator, adult educator, coach and management consultant with Fortune 500 companies throughout North America. Her experience spans nearly 20 years...