Who should attend
- Mid-career public health professional from Africa, working in government, for a government initiative/partner, or entity at the federal, regional, state, or provincial level
- Responsible for managing public health program(s) with supervisory responsibilities, either individual staff or a team; Accountable for the performance of public health programs and/or for managing front-line health workers
- Holds either an advanced degree related to public health, development, policy, or a medical professional
- A citizen and resident of a country in Africa
- Strong English-language skills, and the ability to articulate the various policy or program implementation challenges that they deal with in public health
About the course
Mid-career global public health professionals operate in a demanding and changing climate. They must initiate policies, hold healthcare providers accountable, and build partnerships across a vast array of communities and stakeholders. The International Program in Public Health Leadership (IPPHL) teaches participants the skills of analysis, leadership, communication, and persuasion that enable them to advance population health in this increasingly complex, resource-constrained environment.
IPPHL offers a strong focus on individual coaching and mentoring, peer sharing and learning, and the development of a community of practice to give participants access to a wider network helping them address the policy and program implementation challenges they face. The Evans School of Public Policy and Governance at the University of Washington, in collaboration with the Center for Creative Leadership provide internationally recognized expertise in a variety of critical fields including: theory of organizational management and change, policy formation and negotiation, communication, and leadership. This is a non-degree, non-credit program.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- Develop the leadership, problem-solving, and negotiation skills leaders need to drive change and advance public policy solutions
- Discover the best available data on the causes, consequences, and solutions to global, population health concerns
- Apply and analyze cutting-edge techniques to address complex public policy problems
- Engage with public health leaders from around the world to share best practices and support their ongoing professional development
- Learn innovative management frameworks and tools
- Practice nation-level implementation of public health programs
Your browser does not support iframes.
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.