About the course
In recent years, internal investigation notes, documentation, summaries and reports have come under heightened scrutiny by outside agencies, lawyers in discrimination cases, and the courts.
Even if one conducts a thorough investigation, Human Resources and EEO professionals must ensure that all documentation is well written. This workshop builds on the skills learned in Cornell's complaint handling workshops and focuses exclusively on the written product of an effective investigation.
- Methods for taking notes during investigatory interviews
- Developing documentation relating to the investigation
- Tips for note-taking, documentation and writing effective investigation summaries or reports
- A template for writing a report
- Addressing comparators
- Addressing credibility
- Writing the analysis in reports
- Using the EEO and employment laws and guidelines effectively
- Analyzing witness statements and evidence
- Writing sound conclusions
- Writing a fair, thorough, and neutral report
- Working effectively with counsel on writing reports
- Avoiding an advocacy language when preparing notes and reports
- Ethical issues
- Attorney-client privilege
Who should attend
EEO, HR and other professionals responsible for conducting, documenting and preparing reports for internal investigations
Participants must first take Internal Investigations: Part I and/or have relevant experience in EEO and Employment Law.
Trust the experts
Employment Lawyer and Employee Relations professional, who helps businesses and individuals to identify and resolve workplace issues before they result in litigation. Legal advice, provided through an employee relations lens, offers individualized solutions for clients in the four key areas of: D...
Wasserman Law is a management-side employment law firm whose practice is devoted exclusively to fostering compliance with employment laws and minimizing the risk of workplace liability. We provide practical advice and solutions to address your everyday human resource questions and problems. Our...