Who should attend
The Financial Planning Certificate Program is designed for anyone pursuing CFP® certification, including professionals in the fields of investment brokerage, insurance, banking, accounting and the law. In addition, professionals from other industries who want to make a career change and are looking for rigorous instruction in financial planning are encouraged to enroll.
About the course
Income Tax Planning provides an overview of the federal tax system, including both personal and business taxation. You’ll learn how to advise your clients about the most effective methods of maximizing their wealth by reducing the tax burden. The course also highlights the potential pitfalls, ethical problems and consequences of IRS audits and enforcement activities.
This 11-week course is the third module in the Financial Planning Certificate Program and is offered throughout the year on DePaul's Loop campus and online.
- Income tax law fundamentals
- Tax compliance
- Income tax fundamentals and calculations
- Tax accounting methods
- Tax characteristics of entities
- Income taxation of trusts and estates
- Cost basis, cost-recovery concepts
- Tax consequences of like-kind exchanges
- Tax consequences of gain or loss on sale of assets
- Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT)
- Tax management techniques
- Passive activity and at-risk rules
- Tax implications of changing circumstances
- Charitable contributions and deductions
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.