Inclusive Leadership: Harnessing the Power of Diversity
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Columbia Business School.Full disclaimer.
Organizations are becoming increasingly diverse. Yet hiring diverse talent — taking into consideration characteristics including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, ability, and sexual orientation — is only the first step in creating an inclusive organization. It is essential for leaders to be able to create inclusive environments so that everyone is able to fully engage in the work.
This program equips executives with the skills they need to create inclusive climates that motivate and engage their teams and organizations. World-renowned faculty from Columbia Business School and Teachers College, Columbia University present actionable frameworks and cutting-edge research that participants can leverage to diagnose diversity dynamics in their teams and organization.
The two faculty co-directors have each taught in flagship programs of the Executive Education portfolio for years, providing a small amount of their vast knowledge and experience with issues of diversity and inclusion to our programs. Here, recognizing the growing need for a deeper dive into these issues, Professors Block and Phillips team up to provide cutting-edge knowledge and experience to help executives grow and develop around this crucial topic.
During the program, participants work on a real-life diversity or inclusion challenge they are currently facing and will walk away with an action plan and new insights to address their challenge. Each participant also receives a unique intercultural competence assessment, building their self-awareness around areas for improvement and next steps for developing their intercultural skills.
At the end of the three days, participants will be more aware of diversity dynamics in their organization, understand the role of stereotypes and unconscious bias in decision making and how such forces can influence the work climate and culture, and know how they can motivate and engage everyone that they work with for increased individual and organizational performance.
This program provides a safe environment for leaders to receive the knowledge, skills, and feedback that will make them more comfortable when talking about and managing through issues of diversity and inclusion. They will acquire a tool kit to apply as individuals, with teams, and at the organizational level to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and that attracts a diverse set of people.
- Enhance their awareness of the role that stereotypes play at work and how this influences team members’ motivation and engagement
- Acquire strategies to create an inclusive environment to overcome some of these obstacles and leverage the diversity of knowledge and experience on their team
- Develop self-awareness of their own approach to working in diverse groups, and strategies to increase this skill set
The three-day program features a combination of interactive classroom learning, hands-on exercises, and participant assessments and coaching.
Sample session titles include:
- Diversity Dynamics in Systems
- Understanding the Benefits of Diversity in Teams
- The Role of Unconscious Bias and Stereotypes in Organizational Life
- How Individuals Contend with Stereotype Threat in Organizations
- Diagnosing Diversity Dynamics in Teams and Organizations
- Creating Inclusive Climates
- Enhancing Your Intercultural Competence
- Authentic Leadership for Inclusion
- Leadership for Inclusion: Putting Understanding of Diversity Dynamics into Action
Who should attend
This program is designed for mid- to upper-level executives that are new to leading or plan on leading inclusivity efforts in their organization as well as executives who would like to become better at leading their teams inclusively and reap the benefits of diverse teams for their organization.
The program is also appropriate for HR professionals who would like to learn best practices and strategies for workplace diversity and inclusion.