Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Columbia Business School.Full disclaimer.
About the course
In today’s dynamic world, the old static planning methods no longer work. The key to success is to create an adaptive enterprise capable of generating winning strategies and renewing those strategies as the environment changes.
Implementing Winning Strategies offers a set of practical tools to achieve this kind of organizational agility. The program introduces you to the Strategic Learning Process, a unique 4-step model which has been battle tested and is being applied successfully by many global companies and not-for-profit organizations to create and implement winning strategies repeatedly over time.
The Strategic Learning Process
Strategic Learning is an insight-to-action process. The four linked action steps move in a cycle (see picture below):
1) Learn about the external environment and your organization’s own realities; 2) Focus by making choices about where you will compete and how you will win; 3) Align your people and your business system behind your strategy; 4) Execute faster and better than your competitors.
That takes the firm back to the Learn step, thus creating an ongoing cycle of learning and renewal.
You will learn how to apply the market-tested Strategic Learning methodology: the four-step cycle designed to create and sustain winning performance. During the program, you will be given a workbook of practical tools you can use immediately upon returning to your organization.
We believe that our job is to bring you the best ideas on strategic leadership, together with powerful tools to turn them into action. That is what we aim to do in Implementing Winning Strategies.
— Willie Pietersen and Peter Meola, Faculty Directors
Summary of Benefits
- Learn to conduct a Situation Analysis: a powerful method for creating insights into the external environment and your company’s own realities
- Improve your ability to foresee change and its implications
- Create a “Winning Proposition” that differentiates your organization and provides superior value for your customers and shareholders
- Learn how to win hearts and minds of your people and align your business system behind your strategy
- Master the golden rules of effective implementation, and leadership of change
- Understand how to monitor and measure the success of your strategy, and how to apply rapid corrective actions
Before the program begins, participants prepare by meeting with superiors and peers to identify and document a strategic challenge. This pressing issue becomes the foundation for the participant’s personal case, which they discuss and address throughout the program by applying the Strategic Learning Process.
Sample Session Titles
- Understanding the universal forces of change and their implications
- Overview of Strategic Learning: Comparison with other methods of strategy
- Winning at insight through your Situation Analysis
- Making strategic choices and developing your Winning Proposition and Key Priorities
- Driving your economic engine
- Mobilizing the power of organizational alignment
- Mastering the Golden Rules for Effective Implementation
- Leading change and renewal
Who should attend
Implementing Winning Strategies is designed for executives of all levels responsible for strategic planning, with primary responsibility for making the changes necessary to enable effective execution of strategy, or those with P&L responsibility who seek to become more strategic in their thinking.
Trust the experts
Biography Willie Pietersen was raised in South Africa, and received a Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford University. After practicing law, he embarked on an international business career. Over a period of twenty years he served as the CEO of multibillion-dollar businesses such as Lever Foods, Seagram ...
Biography After over 25 years as a senior executive of multinational businesses, Peter is a member of the faculty at Columbia Business School in New York. His primary areas of focus and passion are Leadership of Organizational Culture, as well as, Strategic Learning as a Leadership Process, whi...
Implementing Winning Strategies: Overview