Who should attend
This Oxford Planning Specialist training seminar is designed for professionals involved with the planning process. It will be of benefit for all managers who seek to enhance their planning skills.
Typical delegates would include the following:
- Specialist Managers
- Operational Managers
- Team Leaders
About the course
In order to be successful managers must have the ability to plan strategically. Developing this competency is a key component of managerial skills enhancement given that effective strategic planning is essential to the future success of any organization. However, most strategic planning is lacking in vision. It is merely a straight-line extrapolation of the past into the future. In a world where the pace of change is greater than ever before this is at best short-sighted and at worst a prescription for disaster.
Real strategic planning is about positioning the organization for a future which will be different from the past. This Oxford Planning Specialist training seminar will focus on strategic planning as the essential management system guiding the manager and organization into the future by setting focused goals that will establish and enhance competitiveness. This Oxford training seminar will also focus on the necessity of developing both personal mental agility and organizational agility. Close examination will be made of the driving forces creating both strategic successes and failures.
Highlights of this Oxford training seminar are as follows:
- Presentation of the Concept and Significance of Strategy and Strategic Planning
- Introduction to the Main Approaches to Strategy Formulation and Goal Setting
- Case Examples of Organizations Formulating Strategic Plans
- Group Work on Specific Cases and Problems
- Extensive Use of Practical Examples in which the course leader has been personally involved
By the end of this Oxford training seminar, you will be able to:
- Examine how to design visionary strategic plans
- Consider utilization of a model for organizational assessment
- Formulate insights into strategic planning problems to avoid
- Identify and learn from examples of strategic success and failure
- Develop understanding of the nature of the organizational life cycle
- Study the preparation of effective contingency plans
The most up to date training methods are used to present this training seminar. This Oxford Planning Specialist training seminar is carefully designed to address all styles of learning and to engage participants fully. Formal presentations and discussions are supplemented by group exercises which provide opportunities for personal participation in real situations. There will also be video presentations which focus on key issues. This approach makes the learning process enjoyable, fast-paced, challenging and empowering.
How does the organization benefit by sending employees to this Oxford training seminar?
- Employees are better able to relate their functional work to the overall direction of the organization
- There will be greater flexibility within the organization
- Employees’ capability in analysing and building creative solutions will be enhanced
- Employees will have more confidence in setting and aiming for ambitious targets
- Employees will be better placed to cope with organizational change
- Employees will think more rigorously about creating tomorrow’s organization out of today’s organization
How does the delegate benefit by attending this Oxford training seminar?
- Participants will learn how to combine analytical and creative thinking
- Participants will have a better understanding of the global business environment of the 21st century
- Participants will learn how to make choices in making best use of finite resources
- Participants will develop improved preparedness to deal with contingencies
- Participants will learn how to set challenging, realistic and achievable targets
- Participants will have further developed their ability to move up in their organization
Strategy, Strategic Planning and Competitive Positioning
- Introduction to the Seminar – Structure and Content
- Strategy - Concept and Significance
- “Competitive Positioning” vs. “Blue Sky” Approaches
- Achieving Competitive Advantage through Flexibility and Agility
- The Interaction of Strategy, Structure and Business Processes
- Gathering Information and Intelligence for the SWOT Analysis
- Mini-cases and Group Discussion – “Cost vs. Differentiation”
Strategic Intent, Strategic Choice and Balancing Scorecards
- Vision and Mission Statements - Preparing for the Future
- Business Analysis and Contingency Planning
- Strategic Choice
- Converting the SWOT Analysis into the “Strategy Matrix”
- Strategy Formulation – Programmes, Projects, Policies
- Transforming the Organization - Strategy Implementation and Managing Change
- Mini-case and Group Discussion – “Major strategic re-orientation”
Assessing the Current State of the Organization
- Leadership and Management in relation to Strategy
- Customer and Market Focus
- Human Resources and Knowledge Management
- Building a Strategic Planning Team
- Effective Process Management to Achieve Business Results
- Monitoring and Measuring Business Performance
- Mini-case and Group Discussion – “A Market Entry Problem”
Strategic Planning Best Practice Whilst Avoiding the Pitfalls
- The Strategy Life-cycle and the Problem of Strategic Drift
- Getting Innovative thinking into the Organization
- The Potentially Negative Dimensions of Success
- How to Avoid 'Paralysis by Analysis'?
- Overcoming inability to evaluate fresh ideas, denying the truth and thinking inside the box
- The Critical Importance of Good Planning Team Dynamics
- Mini-case and Group Discussion – “How and why a good organization can go bad?”
Personal Strategic Planning
- Applying Strategic Tools and Techniques to the Individual
- Personal Goal Setting, Creating a Personal Strategic Plan
- Implementing Change - Achieving Progress as a Strategic Manager
- The Mix of Competencies and Personal Skills required in 21st Century Business
- Executing Strategy - How to break it down and get it done?
- Developing Inspiration and Gathering Support
- Overcoming Adversity by Leveraging your Skills and Building on Success
- Conclusion - A Personal Role in the Strategic Planning and Goal Setting Processes
- Following attendance on the seminar, you are required to complete a SWOT analysis on the area of the organisation for which you have responsibility
- You should bear in mind the topics covered on the seminar
- The SWOT analysis should be accompanied by explanations to substantiate each claim or recognition of specific characteristics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.