Who should attend
This course is for anyone interested in illustrating for books, or who has an interest in narrative illustration, or childrens books. All levels are welcome, but being comfortable with drawing is important, as drawing will be featured heavily in the projects.
About the course
Illustrating for books will help you develop your drawing skills for illustrating a range of different types of books, from non-fiction books, to travel and childrens books. For non-fiction books and travel books, you will improve your reportage illustration, drawing from observation, and learning how to develop sketches into interesting illustrations. For childrens books, you will learn character design, storyboarding, and how to build up a scene and add depth to an illustration. Each class will involve a drawing exercise to explore some of the ideas in the lesson.
By the end of the course you will have a better understanding of:
- Applying your drawing skills and creativity to narrative illustration and telling a story through your images
- How to create varied and interesting character designs
- How to apply observational sketching to more finished reportage drawings
- How to build up a complex scene for a picture book
- Drawing from suggested prompts
- Storyboarding and planning out a picture book
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
- Character design
- Facial expression & Emotion
- Building a scene
- Drawing from observation
- Reportage illustration
- Drawing maps
- Narrative illustrations
Leni Kauffman has a Degree in Graphic Design, Illustration from Central Saint Martins; graduating in 2007. She is a freelance illustrator and has worked in animation, publishing, fashion illustration, and storyboarding.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.