Who should attend
This workshop is ideal professionals leading teams and projects regardless of industry.
About the course
As leaders of teams and projects, we regularly face choices and decisions that have downstream consequences. Do you want to be able to make better decisions in your personal or professional life? Do you want to help your team members make better choices when it comes to decisions on their projects? Or are you simply curious about how and why people make certain choices?
In this highly interactive session, participants will explore why the familiar pros-and-cons approach seems to make sense—but is profoundly flawed. The workshop will address how biases influence the options we consider and the choices we make, and how we can fight those biases. Then, the instructor will share examples of how team leaders can influence team decisions in positive and negative ways. Then, participants will interrogate the question: Is our problem with decisions that we are overconfident? Maybe—and maybe not! The workshop will show how overconfidence is overrated as an explanation for poor decisions.
You and your team have important decisions that need to be made. No technique can guarantee great decisions every time, but you will leave this session with practical ideas and tools to make better choices for you, your team, and your projects.
Participants will be able to:
- Summarize how biases impact decisions we make
- Implement a 4-step process to help them make better decisions
- Describe strategies to help validate assumptions before making decision
- Identify approaches to cut their losses on bad decisions
- Describe a phrase that helps identify when they are not evaluating enough options for their decisions
- Factors that lead to bad decisions
- How to widen options to mitigate narrow framing
- The role of assumptions in decision-making
- How to seek disconfirming information to enhance decision-making
- Setting tripwires to cut losses when decisions go wrong
- How leaders can help (or hinder) decision-making for their teams
Award Winning Project Management and Leadership Keynotes & Training in Chicago, North America, & Around the World Hello! I’m a keynote speaker, author, & executive coach, and President of the Institute for Leadership Excellence & Development Inc. I work with organizations around...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.