University of Cape Town Graduate School of Business
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.
Who should attend
The course is aimed at professionals working across the hospitality value chain. You will benefit from this course if you are:
- A general manager of a hotel group or boutique hotel
- A new manager
- An entrepreneur
- A distributor
- Looking to build a career in the hospitality industry
A programme at this level assumes a first degree or diploma and three years' management or industry experience. Applicants without a tertiary qualification, but with requisite experience, are encouraged to apply and will need a strong motivation from their manager with their application.
About the course
Learn specialised skills and make an impact in the fast-paced hospitality sector
The Hospitality Leadership short course at the UCT GSB will give you practical tools for success in this competitive and dynamic field. This unique course bridges practice and theory and features input from academics, hospitality practitioners and South African policy makers. It also offers an unrivalled opportunity to engage with and learn from like-minded professionals and leading personalities in the industry.
Changing the game
Hospitality in South Africa is an exciting and evolving industry. Disruptive innovations – such as the use of digital platforms for managing bookings and reviewing travel destinations – are changing the game. At the same time, social megatrends – including the rise of the experience economy and transformation economy – are changing the way people travel. To thrive in this fast-paced and growing industry, professionals in the sector need specialised leadership and strategic skills.
The UCT GSB is a top-ranked, global business school with a world-class reputation and is one of less than 100 business schools in the world to be triple-crown accredited. Take advantage of our world-class faculty and more than five decades of business education experience.
What will I Gain from this Course?
By the end of the Hospitality Leadership course, delegates will be able to:
- Integrate theoretical constructs and market insights and apply these to practical scenarios in the hospitality sector
- Apply blue ocean strategy and the business model canvas
- Make key financial decisions for implementing an effective strategy
- Construct a strategic and tactical hospitality marketing plan
- Use a balanced scorecard approach to construct strategic objectives
- Apply the principles of the experience economy framework to create memorable, compelling and unique hospitality experiences
- Categorise, prioritise and design 'moments of truth' related to a hospitality enterprise
- Operationalise and link the experience framework to people management, service design, operations streamlining, training initiatives and resource deployment
- Delineate and explain the hospitality value chain
- Integrate factors that consider the historical, social and economic development of the South African hospitality sector
- Understand the dynamic regulatory environment and international expansion challenges affecting hospitality businesses in Africa
Strategic marketing, business collective strategy and collaboration, innovation, wine business management & wine business education, international trade, management and organisational studies, hospitality leadership, wine tourism, business model formulation, consumer behaviour & brand str...