Higher Education Teaching Certificate
The Times Higher Education Teaching Survey, which analyzed over 1,150 higher education staff, revealed 85% say students value their teaching.1
Which means it’s important for you to have as much confidence in how you teach as what you teach.
This 8-week Higher Education Teaching Certificate aims to give you the opportunity to engage deeply with effective teaching methods and reflect on your practices, portfolio and teaching journey in the higher education (HE) field.
Inspired by the in-person seminar program currently offered by Harvard’s Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning, you’ll be exposed to the most relevant research on how students learn in the HE context and learn how to apply this insight to your own teaching context.
Whether you’re a professor, lecturer, researcher, academic staff, or aspiring teacher, and no matter what stage you’re at in your academic career, being an effective teacher is key to progression and promotion through the ranks of academia.
What will set you apart
Earn a premier certificate from Harvard’s Bok Center, in association with HarvardX, in this online short course and be empowered to:
- Create a positive, supportive, and inclusive learning environment through the application of rapport-building techniques.
- Bridge the gap between having expertise in a field and being able to impart that knowledge on your students by not only learning the practical skills for delivering a lesson, but how to make it memorable too.
- Raise your institutional profile as a reflective practitioner by demonstrating an understanding of effective teaching practices.
- Move into and succeed in teaching roles at any level of the higher education spectrum through the development of a comprehensive teaching portfolio that acts as a testament to your current experience, goals and skills as a teacher.
Become increasingly empowered in your teaching abilities as you follow your learning path through the weekly modules of this online course:
- Orientation Module: Welcome to your Online Campus
- Course Module 1: The construction and communication of knowledge
- Course Module 2: How learning works
- Course Module 3: Creating an inclusive learning environment
- Course Module 4: Lesson planning and delivery
- Course Module 5: Engaging students
- Course Module 6: Course and assignment design
- Course Module 7: Using feedback to improve your teaching
- Course Module 8: Teaching portfolio preparation