Who should attend
- Current or potential audit committee members on boards, board chairs, and chief executive officers
- Chief financial officers, chief operating officers, and risk officers who work closely with audit committees
- Internal audit officers, audit firm partners, investor relations professionals, legal advisors, and non-profit board members
- We encourage attendance by two or more audit and risk committee(s) members to foster teamwork and an appreciation of the programmes’ intent and impact.
About the course
The effectiveness of the audit and risk committee(s) is largely dependent on the performance of audit and risk functions in an organization. As the focus on corporate governance and oversight grows, the expectations on audit and risk committee(s) keep growing too. This programme targets both audit and risk committee board members together with corporate managers engaged in internal audit and risk activities in the organization. The programme explores best practices that your audit and risk committee(s) can utilise to fulfil its mandate and increase its strategic contribution and performance. You will acquire emergent frameworks to align corporate strategy with risk and financial reporting for improved performance in today’s highly disruptive environment.
The programme covers aspects relating to audit, risk and the role of audit committees. Emphasis is placed on the expectation of audit, risk and audit committee members with a view to working in an integrated way. The roles of audit, risk and audit committees will be explored. An in depth understanding and analysis of financial statements will be performed. The legal and regulatory environment will also be explored and benchmarked with best practices. The risk management and internal audit functions will be examined with detail. The programme will conclude with techniques for running effective audit committee meetings using a practical simulated scenario.
The programme aims to achieve the following:
- Comprehend the role and responsibilities Audit and Risk Committee (s) in today’s board,
- Align audit and risk functions with corporate strategy,
- Explore legal, regulatory and compliance requirements relevant to audit and risk functions,
- Obtain sufficient knowledge to enable board members ask the right questions
- This programme prepares you to work towards aligning the audit and risk functions with corporate strategy and manage compliance and strategic roles of audit committees in a value-added manner.
- This will help improve organizational performance by reducing any tension between audit, risk and other teams in the organization.
- The programme goes beyond a compliance mentality toward strategic financial reporting and effective risk management.
Geoffrey is consistent, reliable, adaptable, and generally supportive with keen interest in understanding and addressing other people’s challenges. He likes to learn hence inquisitive. He is receptive, visionary and believes in excellence in whatever one does. With over 16 years industry, academi...
Dr. David Wang’ombe is the Dean, School of Management and Commerce at Strathmore University. He has lectured accounting and finance courses both at University and tertiary level for over 10 years. He is a BA (Hons) and MBA graduate of the University of Nairobi and a Certified Public Accountant of...
Dr.James Boyd Mcfie is a lecturer in Management Accounting and Financial Reporting and Analysis. Dr. McFie has a PHD in Accounting, University of Strathclyde and M.A. (Mathematics), Oxford University. He is a Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (FCCA) and a Fellow of the ...
David is currently faculty at Strathmore Business School, Strathmore University where he teaches Accounting, Finance and related subjects. He is also the Academic Director (Ag.) for the MSc. in Development Finance. Prior to joining Strathmore, David worked at KPMG Kenya in the Risk Consulting dep...
Dr. Waweru earned her Ph.D in International Finance (Derivatives Markets) from Sogang University in Seoul (South Korea), a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) and Bachelors of Commerce (Accounting) from Kenyatta University. She is also a Certified Public Accountant of Kenya (CPA-K) and a mem...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.