High Performance Leadership High Performance Leadership: Best Practice Techniques for the C-Suite
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Euromoney Learning Solutions.Full disclaimer.
Excel in leadership strategy & development with this course
This is a 5-day adventure in which you will discover your leadership capacity and how you can take on the diverse demands of leadership within your organisation. We will be addressing strategic decision making and how to handle the complex inter-personal dynamics that go hand in hand with being influential. Each day has a different theme and each theme is explored in a practical and participative style so that you will be engaged throughout and be able to take the learning and apply it in your organisation on your return to work.
The course has been designed with talented executives in mind who now find themselves in significant leadership roles and want to become exceptional leaders who are equally at ease with the ‘hard’ business issues and the ‘soft’ people skills. It is delivered by two highly experienced instructors who have taught in world-class business schools and held leadership roles themselves in the commercial world.
Join us on this course and become a leader who can:
- Connect with their inner strength by knowing what kind of leader they are and how to leverage their value
- Speak to inspire and motivate others
- Recognise political activity and know how to deal with it
- Be comfortable with their power and authority as a leader
- Handle conflict situations with skill and diplomacy
- Can lead transformational change within the company and in the marketplace
- Create a vision and develop a mission and strategic plans to fulfil the organisation’s purpose
- Understand what drives financial performance and competitive advantage
- Use analytical tools to design and build a strategy
- Link strategy with corporate governance
- Embed an ethical framework into the organisation’s culture
This is a highly-participative approach incorporating case-studies, questionnaire analysis, group exercises, role plays, presentations, discussion groups - with a short lecture underpinning each topic. This ensures that you are well-informed and also, through discussion with fellow participants, have a broader understanding of how things often work in practice. Research suggest that most managers learn best through active involvement and that is our approach. We also believe in application of learning to real work issues so will be encouraging you to try things out on your ‘back-home’ scenarios before you leave so that you are well-prepared to make things happen on your return.
The working day is 9.00 am - 5.30 pm. There will be some individual preparation work for some of the sessions (e.g. reading case studies, completing a questionnaire).
Each of the five days has its own theme and builds on what has gone before. As we believe that you can’t lead anyone else until you can lead yourself we start with exploring your leadership profile based on your personality and experience (Day I). We then look at your leadership context - your organisation - its purpose, vision, values - and the people who work in it - stakeholders, culture. This is a vehicle for exploring strategic leadership in its broader sense (Day 2). Next we put the two together and look at your own strategic challenge and how you can plan how to deal with it and ensure a smooth implementation (Day 3). Now you are ready for action so we examine how you communicate to get buy-in and motivate people to support you (Day 4). Finally, change is about to happen so just how do you lead transformational change? (Day 5) We end the week with your Personal Leadership Development Plan which will keep this journey on track for your continued career success.
DAY 1: THE LEADERSHIP CHALLENGE
Welcome and Introductions
- Meet your new colleagues for the week
- Share learning objectives
- Expectations of organisations and society
- Share Your Leadership Challenge
The Role of Feedback for Leadership Development
- Most leaders complain of not getting enough feedback - this week you’re going to get lots!
- Why does it matter?
- How to get feedback
- How to give feedback
Leadership in a VUCA World
- We live in an unstable world characterised by Volatility, Uncertainty, Complexity and Ambiguity.
- How does the conventional leadership paradigm need to adapt to be effective in the face of disruptive exponential change driven by technology, demographics and globalisation?
Your Leadership Style
- Questionnaire Analysis and in-depth discussions on your leadership profile completed on-line on three different profiles before the course. We will examine your results and identify how you can use them to become a powerful and authentic leader within your organisation.
- Which leadership behaviours come naturally to you?
- Who do you need on your team?
- How does your style impact your relationships?
- How could your style create leadership problems for you?
Listening for Leaders
- The secret ingredient for building loyalty and respect
- Listening beyond the words
- Group exercise
- Live Issues from the Workplace
- Sharing personal mini ‘case studies’ on issues of current concern
DAY 2: THE LEADERSHIP CONTEXT
Introduction to Strategy and the Organisation
- Where does strategy come from?
- What’s the purpose of your organisation?
- Who matters to the organisation?
Managing the environment
- Identifying stakeholders
- Understanding and prioritising stakeholders – and their needs
- Stakeholder Mapping
- Case Study: EDF
Statements of vision and mission
- Corporate values
- Establishing objectives
- We review your own organisational statements
The Power of Organisational Culture
- What is culture?
- Different Types of Organisational Culture
- Benign and toxic cultures
- The leader’s role in making and breaking organisational cultures
- Culture Web Exercise: Analyse your existing culture and identify where change is needed to reach your desired culture.
Leading Employee Engagement
- Creating a ‘great place to work’ to support and empower your people to get great results.
*DAY 3: “LEADERS CREATE LEADERS” *
- Nurturing a pipeline of leaders
- Developing a network of leaders at every level
- Working collaboratively and cooperatively
Building High Performance Teams
- A practical model that empowers and motivates team member to become self-managing
- Team exercise
Developing & Destroying Trust & Reputation
- Personal relationships
- Employee - Organisation relationships
- Customer - Organisation relationships
- Society - Organisation relationships
Strengthening Your Psychological Capital
DAY 4: LEADERSHIP COMMUNICATION
- Strategies for influence
- Managing your personal power
- Handling organisational politics
- Managing upward
- The yin and yang of communication
- Flexing your leadership style for effective, credible communication
Exercise: Stakeholder Mapping
Handling Difficult People and Difficult Situations
- Follow the framework
- Adopt the secrets of the speech-writers
- Have ‘stage’ presence
- Make the most of your voice
- Use body language
- Find your passion
- Exercise: Inspirational Speaking: you will learn how to write and deliver an inspirational speech with the opportunity to try it out and receive feedback and coaching.
DAY 5: LEADING INTO THE FUTURE
The Entrepreneurial Mindset
- Innovation + Opportunity
- Passion + Persuasion
- Risk Taking + Ownership
Leading Transformational Change
- Case Study: NYPD
- The nature of change
- Why people resist change
The 8 steps to successful organisational change
- Making change stick
- Maintaining commitment
- Leaving a living legacy
Personal Presentations How to:
- Have ‘stage’ presence
- Make the most of your voice
- Use your body language
- Find your passion
- Overcome your nerves
Deliver a 5-minute presentation, prepared earlier and receive sensational applause!
Preparing to Return to the Workplace
- The aim is to consolidate your learning so -
- Apply new insights to your Leadership Challenge
- Plan the next steps
- Get a reality check from a colleague
- Commit to action
Compile Your Personal Leadership Development Plans
- Identify the critical areas of your leadership that you can strengthen and build upon
- Consider how to build new behaviours into your work life
- Recognise the supporters that you have as a leader and how you can develop those relationships
- Commit to the single most inspiring and energising insight that you have had this week that will take your leadership to a new level
Who should attend
This course is designed for people in senior roles who carry broad responsibility for significant parts of the organisation. People look to them for direction and decisions. They may be:
- Executives who are new to strategic-level leadership
- Experienced leaders who find themselves in a role that is growing quickly and want to prepare themselves for the new challenges ahead
- Directors and Vice-Presidents who want to refresh their knowledge base and skill set with like-minded executives from other organisations so that they stay up-to-date and on top of their situation
- Professionals who have risen to top jobs in their firm or company and need to expand their scope of operation