About the course
This programme is aimed toward all managers involved in – or who expect to become involved in – leading entire organisations, divisions or large teams with profit and loss responsibilities, particularly those involved at the strategic level. Those who are concerned with enhancing organisational performance and sustainability – probably the most valuable achievement for an organisation – should also consider enrolling in this programme. Professionals who attend include members of senior executive teams, general managers, sustainability managers, human resource managers, communications managers, and finance managers.
Over this extremely intensive three-day programme, executives will explore the latest ideas in high-performance and sustainable leadership. The focus is on organisation-wide and strategic-level leadership, and on enabling participants to develop plans for change within their own enterprises. A variety of teaching techniques are used, including plenary lectures and discussion sessions, workshops, and planning exercises. Plenary lecture/discussion sessions provide participants with valuable frameworks for understanding leadership issues at different levels, and are designed to be relevant to participants’ own experiences and issues that they face. A wealth of real-world cases drawn from a variety of industries enliven the conceptual points and make them vivid and memorable.
During workshops, small groups of participants typically examine specific leadership issues based on past international case studies. During planning exercises, participants work together in teams as they analyse specific leadership issues. Participants often use these different class sessions to develop their own leadership strategies, drawing on the expertise of other executives in the programme.
- The dynamic environment in which leadership operates
- Frameworks for dealing with the complexities of leadership
- Implications of different paradigms of leadership for business performance
- The basis that transactional processes establish for high-performance leadership
- How leadership is embedded in an organisational system, not just in its leaders
- Why high performance leadership involves vision, values and emotion
- Engaging and empowering staff to enhance performance and sustainability
- How to create an effective vision for the enterprise
- The 23 most effective sustainable leadership practices
- Practical applications and performance outcomes of sustainable leadership practices
- What international companies are doing to become more sustainable
- Where to begin in changing to sustainable practices
- Understanding complex events by reframing them
- Planning change towards sustainable leadership
- Tools for achieving high-performance and sustainable leadership through change
The programme focuses on providing participants with key leadership concepts, skills, and techniques that will enable them to achieve their business objectives more effectively and efficiently. Participants will closely examine concepts of high-performance leadership, sustainable leadership, and managing change towards more effective organisational leadership in a variety of settings.
Participants will learn:
- The meaning and importance of leadership for organisational performance and sustainability
- How leadership extends beyond the personalities of the people involved to encompass the entire organisational system
- How the elements of the leadership system operate differently at different levels of an organisation
- Four separate paradigms of leadership that can be usefully applied
- How different paradigms have different implications for organisational performance and resources
- The importance of getting the fundamentals right to provide a base for high-performance leadership
- The contributions of shared vision, values and emotion to a high-performance leadership culture
- Why current business models are failing
- The nature of sustainability and sustainable leadership
- The value of reputation/brand, customer satisfaction and stakeholder value to sustainable enterprises
- The potential sustainability of alternative strategic business models
- Sustainable leadership practices
- How to build a sustainable and high-performing enterprise in uncertain times
- How businesses around the world create sustainable leadership
- Where to begin in creating a sustainable enterprise
- What major organisations are doing to become more sustainable
- How to manage change to achieve sustainable leadership
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND: Ph.D.in Philosophy in Psychology of Monash University, Melbourne M.S. in Town and Country Planning of University of Sydney B.A. with first-class honours in psychology of University of Sydney TEACHING INTERESTS: Prof. Avery teaches Leadership and Motivation for stu...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.