Henley Professional Certificate in Supervision
Coaching Supervision: Developing your commitment to professional best practice The Henley Professional Certificate in Supervision is designed to enable experienced coaches, mentors, psychologists, change consultants and managers to develop core supervision skills.
Becoming a coaching supervisor is a natural next step for an experienced coach, consultant, or psychologist and those utilising a coaching approach. Coaching supervision brings ongoing benefits to both the coach, their individual clients and client organisations. Such a coaching supervisor will monitor practice quality, develop practice capability and capacity, and be able to contribute to organisational learning.
In addition to developing coaching supervision knowledge and skills, this part-time qualification programme offers experienced coaches, consultants and psychologists:
- a quality assurance statement of coaching supervision training from a triple-accredited coaching centre
- A supportive peer-group and networking opportunities
- Alumni status and benefits.
Designed with members of the Bath Consultancy Group faculty
The programme has been designed in partnership with the leading members of Bath Consultancy Group: Peter Hawkins, Nick Smith and Gil Schwenk, who are recognised as the founders of professional supervision.
The teaching team includes Peter Hawkins and Nick Smith, who have published several bestselling books on supervision, Gil Schwenk, Eve Turner and Jonathan Passmore whose research into coaching supervision, means this programme will set the standards for the coming decade, as this team defined the agenda for coaching supervision for the past decade.
Programme format and duration
Part-time, typically studied over 12 months. You will attend three two-day workshops at Henley Business School, alongside online learning through videos and exercises, extensive coaching supervision practice and 360-degree feedback.
Programme structure and content
Pre workshop study
Before Workshop 1 you will have access to your online learning portal including resources from the Academic Resource Centre, and we will invite you to undertake some online learning including reading, and reflection before you come to the first workshop.
You will then complete the following workshops:
- Workshop 1: Coaching and supervision models, including developing understanding and application of the Seven Eyed model of supervision
- Workshop 2: Group supervision, including developing your ability to see systemic patterns
- Workshop 3: Increasing the impact of the coaching supervisor
Personal development and assessment
During the Henley Professional Certificate in Supervision you will:
- Be required to undertake 50 hours of coaching supervision practice outside the workshops
- Use a Learning Log to bring together all the different learning elements from the course and your self-reflection on your practice
- Complete 10 hours of supervision on your practice supervision with your own personal supervisor
- Write a 5000 word written assignment reflecting on your supervision practice.
You will be able to incorporate your new skills into your practice, and offer supervision alongside coaching services.
You will have ongoing contact with Henley Business School through:
- Access to resources from the online learning portal for up to 12 months
- University of Reading and Henley alumni status
Next steps: Further study
On completion of the Henley Professional Certificate in Supervision, you may wish to apply to study the Henley MSc in Coaching & Behavioural Change.
Benefits for participants
You will maximise your capacity to develop individuals and groups and improve their practice over time; including:
- Understanding and working with the way assumptions are blocking change
- Increasing your flexibility regarding different ways of responding, so as to model potential change for supervisees
Alongside development of your skills and confidence you will gain:
- Free membership to The Henley Centre for Coaching with access to monthly webinars, podcasts, networking events, magazines, journals, plus discounted on many events and services.
- A quality assurance statement of coaching supervision training from a triple-accredited coaching centre at a global business school
- A supportive peer-group
- Excellent networking opportunities
- University alumni status - with the opportunity to use Henley’s facilities and library post graduation.
Benefits for your organisation
As a supervisor you will be able to:
Develop practice capability and capacity of others
By helping practitioners reflect on their practice, a supervisor encourages self-awareness and stimulates better, more fluent practice.
Monitor practice quality within the organisation
Regular supervision allows your organisation to spot poor practice early and intervene through the support of the supervisor. It provides a safety net and helps protect the organisation from the effects of bad practice.
- Draw organisational learning from change activity
Reflection on or during supervision can spot patterns of activity and dynamics across your organisation that can be used to inform the development agenda and activity.
Who should attend
- Experienced practitioners - they will develop the technical skills and perspective to support the work of other practitioners, as well as optimise their own current practice skills
- A wide range of practitioners who wish to supervise work to facilitate change in individuals, teams and organisations
- A minimum of five years' experience of coaching practice, plus a previous coaching qualification
- If you have an Henley MSc in Coaching & Behavioural Change (or equivalent), we'd look for at least one year of the total coaching practice being post MSc, or
- If you have completed the Henley Professional Certificate in Coaching (or equivalent), we'd look for three years' of the total coaching practice being post Professional Certificate
We always look at submissions on a case by case basis. If you do not precisely meet the admissions requirements listed above but have significant coaching experience, please enquire with the team.