About the course
The renowned and original course previously hosted by the Colorado School of Mines, University of Florida and Missouri-Rolla.
Since 1979 the Grouting Fundamentals and Current Practice course has covered pressure grouting as a method to improve geotechnical properties of soils and rock masses, with special focus on mechanisms, theories, and practical applications of grouting to ground densification and strengthening, permeability reduction and groundwater cutoffs. The course faculty includes some of the most recognized international authorities and leaders in the grouting industry.
Major topics include rheological properties of cementitious and chemical grouts and their respective applications, grouting of rock under dams, grouting of rock anchors and micropiles, deep mixing, jet grouting, cutoff walls and composite seepage barriers, compaction grouting, slab jacking, grouting for underground structures, overburden and rock drilling methods, and field monitoring/instrumentation. The curriculum includes a half-day "hands-on" field demonstration, focusing on compaction and permeation grouting, penetration of ultrafine cements and chemical grouts, computer monitoring, grout mixing, uses of cellular grouts, overburden and rock drilling methods.
The curriculum is suited for Owners, Regulators, Consultants and Contractors having interest in the applications of pressure grouting to a broad array of geo-structural construction and remediation techniques, as well as petroleum engineering personnel involved in well drilling and operations.
Tentative Course Agenda
- 8:00 – 8:10 a.m. Opening Remarks - Kieffer
- 8:10 – 9:40 a.m. Introduction to Grouting - Warner
- 9:50 – 11:20 a.m. Grout Types and Rheology - El Mohtar
- 11:30 – 12:30 p.m. Cementitious Grout Mix Design – Warner
- 12:30 – 1:30 p.m. Lunch
- 1:30 – 3:10 p.m. Chemical Grout Materials and Applications – Warner / Anderson
- 3:20 – 3:55 p.m. Foaming Agents and Cellular Grouts – Gomez
- 4:00 – 5:00 p.m. Engineering Geologic Considerations for Rock Mass Grouting - Kieffer
- 5:15 – 6:45p.m. Icebreaker Reception
- 8:00 – 9:50 a.m. Cement Grouting in Rock – Dreese
- 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. The GIN Method of Rock Grouting – Katterbach
- 11:05 – 11:50 a.m. Aperture Controlled Grouting – Bonin / Rombough
- 11:50 – 12:50 p.m. Lunch
- 12:50 – 1:40 p.m. Recent Advantages in Grouting Technology – Dreese
- 1:50 – 2:40 p.m. Case Histories - Dam Remediation Projects – Dreese
- 2:50 – 4:40 p.m. Limited Mobility Grouting – Warner
- 4:45 – 5:30 p.m. Slab Jacking and Grout Jacking – Miluski
- 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. Compaction Grouting – Harris
- 9:10 – 9:50 a.m. Nondestructive Verification and Quantification of Ground Improvements – Stokoe
- 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. Evolution of Small Hole Drilling – Bruce
- 11:10 – 12:10 p.m. Rock Anchors for Dams – Bruce
- 12:10 – 1:00 p.m. Lunch
- 1:00 – 1:45 p.m. High Capacity Anchors in Soils and Weak Rock (SBMA) – Mothersille
- 1:55 – 2:40 p.m. Micropiles – Bruce
- 2:50 – 4:20 p.m. Cutoff Walls & Composite Seepage Barriers – Bruce
- 4:30 – 5:15 p.m. Crisis Management – Bruce
- 8:00 – 9:30 a.m. Permeation Grouting of Soils – Kettle
- 9:40 – 11:00 a.m. Compensation Grouting – Kettle
- 12:00 – 5:00 p.m. Field Demonstration (offsite, with lunch)
- :00 – 9:20 a.m. Jet Grouting – Contractor’s Perspective – Burke
- 9:30 – 10:10 a.m. Jet Grouting – Consultant’s Perspective – Gazzarrini
- 10:20 – 11:20 a.m. Grouting for Groundwater Control in Underground Construction – Schmall
- 11:30 – 12:40 p.m. Pre-Excavation Grouting in Rock Tunnels – Hognestad
- 12:40 – 1:00 p.m. Lunch
- 1:00 – 1:50 p.m. Post-Excavation Grouting in Underground Construction – Kieffer
- 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. Grouting Instrumentation – Constable
- 3:00 – 3:30 p.m. Closing Remarks, Q & A – Kieffer / El Mohtar / Bandimere
As a geotechnical scholar researching pore fluid engineering geotechnics, I have developed a research program focused on auto-adaptive solutions for mitigating geo-challenges to existing and future infrastructures. My research involves engineering pore fluids and soils for resilient response to a...
Dr. Stokoe holds the Jennie C and Milton T. Chair in the Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering at. He has been working in the areas of field seismic measurements, dynamic laboratory measurements, and dynamic soil-structure interaction for more than 40 years. He has been...
Dr. Donald Bruce is a leading independent expert in geotechnical construction, with a focus on drilling and grouting techniques, anchors, micropiles, deep mixing, cut offs and in- situ reinforcement. Dr. Bruce's career spans some 35 years having worked on all 5 continents. Prior to consulting and...
Trent serves as Earth Science and Hydraulics Practice Leader for Gannett Fleming Inc. and is based in their corporate headquarters in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Trent is also a vice president and previously served as manager of Gannett Fleming's Geotechnical Section. Drawing on more than 25 years ...
Paolo Gazzarrini is a Civil Engineer with over 30 years experience in the application of geotechnical techniques. His experience varies from geotechnical Contractor to engineering design. He was involved in foundation/grouting projects for major Hydroelectric projects in: Iraq (Mosul Dam), Colomb...
Milton Gomez is the Vice President for Aerix Industries. He has worked with cellular concrete applications since 2005. He is responsible for overseeing sales and technical support for over 200 national and international accounts. He oversees the operation of the company including production wareh...
Stephane is the product manager of cementitious special products of Eqiom (CRH Group) and based near Paris. He carreer spans nearly 20 years in the construction field, notably working with concrete admixtures of WR Grace in France and specialty products of Holcim France. He contributed in the dev...
Dr. Kieffer specializes in evaluating geotechnical risks and opportunities in heavy civil construction, and in developing design solutions for challenging conditions in underground construction, slope stability, and dam construction and rehabilitation. He has filled key design roles on major unde...
Maren is a consulting engineer with Lombardi Engineering Ltd. in Switzerland. Maren has been involved in a variety of projects, including underground construction, foundation stability, dam construction, and safety assessments. Within the framework of various dam projects in Europe, Africa, Latin...
Sam has over 40 years of experience in the grouting industry as consultant and contractor. Sam founded Denver Grouting Services, Inc. in 1975 and has served as a consultant to the geotechnical grouting industry since 2001. His clients span the U.S. and international realms. Sam’s consulting servi...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.