Who should attend
- Current, new or incoming director
- Board chair or incoming chair
- Management who plays a role in the organization’s governance
- CEO looking to better understand how to work with your board
- Professional who works with boards
- Chief executives, staff and others who play a role in the organization’s governance
About the course
Bring your issues to the classroom. Bring solutions back to the boardroom. Governing with Intention™ delivers practical tools and clear guidance to address the specific governance challenges facing directors and executives.
Delivered in partnership with Watson Inc., this program shows how to shift the dialogue to the issues that matter. Navigate the line between governance and management. Elevate your personal contribution at the board table, and design your board’s culture.
Benefits for you
- Evaluate the effectiveness of your organization’s governance
- Discuss the practical application of directors’ legal responsibilities
- Determine ways to maximize the contribution of key roles on the board and management team
- See how changes to governance practices can enhance board and committee performance
- Strengthen board culture by focusing on board dynamics and the board/management relationship
- Ensure the organization has the board and leaders it needs to achieve its goals
- Principles of an intentional approach to governance
- Key roles and relationships: board vs. operational committees, supporting the board, laddering leadership, role of the board chair, strengthening the chair/CEO relationship
- Changing governance practices to enhance effectiveness: streamlining board information packages, committee and task force responsibilities, the forward calendar as a strategic differentiator
- Techniques to enhance board culture, how to contribute to your board’s performance
- Directors’ legal responsibilities: fiduciary duty, duty of care, reasonable reliance on management
- Clarifying the grey line between governance and management, organizational stewardship
- Leading renewal practices: recruitment, orientation, education, evaluation, embedding renewal into board practices
- Shifting to a more strategic perspective and elevating strategic contribution
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.