About the course
An in-demand credential that you can build upon.
Gain an understanding of the business, technical, ethical, and legal aspects of cybersecurity, as well as trends in cybersecurity risk management, with the Global Cybersecurity Foundations digital badge program from the Kelley School of Business.
Earn this badge to show mastery of cybersecurity best practices and basics. It can appear on your resume, LinkedIn profile, and other sites as verifiable evidence of the skills you gained through the top-ranked Kelley School of Business.
Isn’t cybersecurity somebody else’s job?
Basic cybersecurity literacy is becoming increasingly vital to business executives and leaders across an array of industries, sectors, and nations. Cyber attackers, ranging from hactivists to organized crime networks and even nation states, are targeting vulnerable networks and are frequently successful in stealing funds as well as valuable intellectual property.
Congress, international organizations, and industry groups continue to call for cybersecurity best practices to better manage the multifaceted cyber threat facing the private sector. However, it is not always clear what those practices should be, or how to implement them in a dynamic, global regulatory environment.
The Global Cybersecurity Foundations digital badge program will enable you to answer these questions and more, equipping you with the tools you need to spot cyber threats and opportunities in an increasingly crowded and risky global marketplace. You will gain a thorough understanding of trends in cybersecurity litigation and federal cybersecurity policy, as well as how other cyber powers—in particular the US and Europe—are approaching common problems such as managing security and privacy concerns in the burgeoning Internet of Everything.
After successfully completing this digital badge program, participants will:
- Better understand the multifaceted cyber threat facing the private sector.
- Be equipped with a toolbox of cybersecurity best practices designed to manage your cyber risk exposure.
- Have a firm introduction to US cybersecurity law and policy including what the emerging cybersecurity standard of care means for your business.
- Know the contours of important cybersecurity debates such as the appropriate role of government in safeguarding critical infrastructure, analyzing the benefits and drawbacks of cyber risk insurance, and what Internet governance has to do with the C-suite.
- Situate US efforts at enhancing cybersecurity in a global context, and be aware of how other jurisdictions are regulating this space.
- Further develop the confidence necessary to work well collaboratively on interdisciplinary cybersecurity solutions.
Global Cybersecurity Foundations Digital Badge Overview
The Kelley School of Business is nationally recognized for its innovative online programs. This program will consist of 10 live synchronous sessions over a 10-week period, and will include both practical exercises and quizzes. Successful completion of this program will earn you one digital badge. After completing the program, you may take the Assurance of Learning exam for an additional cost. If passed, this exam will allow you to earn IU credit toward the online Cybersecurity Management Certificate or MS in Cybersecurity Risk Management.
Outline of topics
Virtual session topics will include:
- Cybersecurity 101
- Cybersecurity Crisis Management
- Unpacking Internet Governance
- Cybersecurity Ethics
- Introduction to US Cybersecurity Law and Policy
- Hot Topics in Cybersecurity Litigation
- The View from the Hill: Trends in Federal Cybersecurity Risk Management
- Shields Up! Comparative Cybersecurity & Information Privacy Best Practices
- Law of Cyber War & Peace: Understanding International Cybersecurity Law and Policy
- Cybersecurity Trends & Opportunities (Blockchain, IoT, Making Democracy Harder to Hack, etc.)
Professor Scott J. Shackelford serves on the faculty of Indiana University where he is Cybersecurity Program Chair along Areas of Expertise Cyber security and privacy, international law and relations, property, and sustainability. Academic Degrees JD, with Academic and Pro Bono Distinction, Stan...
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.