Who should attend
This programme is designed for policy analysts, researchers, managers and domain specialists who have responsibilities for long-term planning for their organisations. It is also useful for middle and senior level managers who might be commissioners and end-users of futures product.
About the course
Instead of predicting a singular future, Futures Thinking provides decision-makers with the capabilities to develop strategies that can explore multiple future scenarios and prepare for diverse options. It aims to improve your decision-making capacity so you can contribute more fully to your organisation.
“Futures Masterclass: Foresight to Policy” will take participants through fundamental Futures Thinking frameworks and methodologies and apply them to real-world futures projects. Participants will benefit from a practice-oriented experience, bringing their real-life problems to the classroom which they will tackle with a Futures Thinking lens. They will enjoy a flexible combination of weekly three-hour online live sessions, pre-recorded lectures, panel discussions and will have access to LKYSPP resources as pre-readings and homework. Participants who wish to continue working on these projects with our faculty will have the option to take part in post-course coaching.
We encourage participants to attend the course in teams to enable collaborative work on your own organisation's futures challenges.
- Understand the philosophical underpinnings of Futures Thinking and their importance in the policy cycle and/or organisational strategic planning
- Learn about the Scenario Planning method, and the futures tools and frameworks that augment it such as Causal Layered Analysis, the Futures Triangle and the Futures Wheel
- Analyse and anticipate past and future trends, uncover hidden biases and assumptions to enable thinking about the future more creatively
- Work on your own real-world challenges with the guidance of local and international experts
- Develop personal practice as a futures practitioner
DR. ADRIAN KUAH Head (Case Studies Unit) & Senior Research Fellow, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy Adrian Kuah is Head of Case Studies Unit and Senior Research Fellow at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy. His research interests include futures studies, complexity science, and poli...
Cheryl Chung is the Deputy Director of Strategic Planning at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy. Prior to joining the School, Cheryl worked for the Singapore Government for 12 years where she led foresight and strategy activities across several ministry portfolios. Her work mainly focused o...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.