About the course
This programme introduces senior leaders to the role of the director and enables them to gain an understanding of the effective director’s mind-set, while practising some of the key skills and behaviours that drive high-performing boards.
Designed to help delegates identify the director competencies they already have, and the ones they need to develop to progress to board-level, the programme builds confidence and provides a practical foundation for future learning. It also offers valuable peer-networking opportunities.
This three-day course provides all the support and inspiration you need to shift your skills and behaviours to successfully make the transition from manager to director. This engaging and highly interactive programme provides the perfect environment in which to take the crucial next steps towards your first director position.
As well as learning support during and after your time on the course, the Future Directors programme also includes a year’s membership with the IoD at associate level. This will allow you to take your learning further, and to benefit from exclusive member benefits and discounts over the next twelve months..
Alongside practical knowledge, skills and mind-set, the Future Directors course aims to increase your confidence in making important business decisions, handling queries and conflicts that may arise within senior management teams and – most importantly – putting yourself forward for new opportunities and roles that will enhance and further your career as a director.
To do this, your course leaders and fellow delegates will provide you with regular feedback, and reflective and consolidated learning will encourage your next steps towards the boardroom.
You’ll be given the chance to create a professional development plan and actively plot the next steps in your learning journey, as influenced by your time on this programme.
The Future Directors course is delivered to a small-sized group to ensure you receive an intimate and tailored learning experience, with personalised advice and guidance throughout.
By attending this course you will gain the knowledge and skills to:
- Identify the five key competencies that should inform a director’s mind-set and explain their value
- Use the results of a diagnostic tool to identify their own strengths and development needs in the context of the director’s role
- Develop a personalised plan for their professional development to gain the key skills and experiences necessary to perform effectively at board level
- Explain the critical importance of the ‘tone at the top’ and the ways in which directors can influence culture, values and ethics in the boardroom, and how these guide the organisation’s strategic direction
- Describe the importance of balancing self-awareness with awareness of others while managing their responses appropriately
- Evaluate the ways directors might seek to positively influence cultural change to effectively implement governance best practice
Business experience Charles is a qualified Chartered Accountant. He has been a Finance and Systems Director in the US. He was European Head of Strategic Development at Mars Snack Foods, where he worked with the board on a wide range of strategic, marketing and financial issues. Charles set up a ...
Business experience During his 30-year career, Gerard Hargreaves has specialised in executive development. As a presenter and consultant, he has worked with many organisations in both the public and private sectors. Throughout his varied career Gerard has worked for an international firm of execu...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.