Who should attend
- All nonprofit leaders, board members and nonprofit managers
- Public sector and government leaders who work with community programs
- Career switchers or for-profit leaders who intend on joining a nonprofit team or Board
About the course
Understanding the Principles of Fundraising
Funders and donors are growing savvier and more sophisticated in the way they make giving choices. Hence, the need for nonprofit organizations to understand the changing ‘donor market’ and their stakeholders has become more imperative than ever. It is also crucial to continuously go back to the basics and revisit organizational fundraising strategy and culture to ensure that the organization is on the right track for continued growth.
In this program, you will learn from faculty and practitioner experts on topics related to strategies for growing fundraising capacity, fundraising cultures and infrastructures required for achieving fundraising goals and simply why people give. This program will also bring in a funder’s perspective to have a healthy discussion on what techniques work to attract funders for a mutually sustainable relationship.
- Learn about and understand the basic principles of fund generating techniques.
- Identify and assess your organization's fundraising practices and culture
- Rethink the engagement strategies with the funder and donor base and the role which targeted marketing plays in it
Understanding Donors/Motivation for Giving
Understanding the reasons why people give is key to understanding how to engage them through various fundraising channels.
- Engage in discussions on "how to think like a donor"
- Assess donor segments and gain tools to divide into categories to understand giving trends
- Assess real-life fundraising asks
Leveraging the Full Team for Fundraising Success
This session will offer insights and actionable strategies for how to utilize both internal and external resources to ensure fundraising success. Participants will learn how to:
- Infuse philanthropy into your organization's culture
- Leverage the dynamic partnership between the Executive Director and Development Director, along with other key staff leaders
- Better engage your Board of Directors to propel fundraising efforts
Marketing Essentials for Nonprofits
- We discuss the concept of marketing as more than just communications. How do we position our non-profit to be seen as offering more value to our constituents?
- In this class we cover the fundamentals – setting clear, achievable marketing goals, choosing where to focus our resources with segmentation & targeting and creating a distinct identity in the market with positioning
- An in-class case borrowed from the consumer packaged goods world helps us put these ideas into practice
Digital Marketing for Fundraising Success: Email & Social Media
- Understand how a good content strategy contributes to fundraising success
- Learn best practices for fundraising with email and social media tools
- Learn success stories from Caleb's personal experience raising millions online
Campaign Plan Essentials
- Learn the major elements of a fundraising campaign including goal-setting, timeline and marketing
- Understand how to leverage, manage and steward your volunteers
Essentials of Fundraising
In today's competitive environment, more nonprofits are competing for fewer dollars.
- Discuss the new fiscal reality and the need to be transparent
- Think about your competitors and your strategies for a multi-channel fundraising
- Who are your fundraising partners and why is engagement critical?
- Understand the current fundraising environment
Liz Livingston Howard is a graduate of Northwestern University and holds an MBA degree from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern. Ms. Howard is the Director of Kellogg's Nonprofit Management Executive Education programs and a Clinical Professor of Management. She developed and teaches...
Megan Kashner is a Clinical Assistant Professor in Kellogg's Public-Private Interface and Director of Social Impact. Kashner comes to Kellogg from an extensive career in the impact sector, most recently as the Founder of Benevolent, a philanthropic platform that invites donors to step in and fill...
I use narratives to design the mind’s relationship with products and create brands. The things we purchase, the services we use and the nonprofits we support do more than fill a need. They tell our life stories to others and, more importantly, to ourselves. They confirm what we care about. They...
Kevin Thomas McTigue is an Adjunct Lecturer of Marketing at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management teaching the core marketing management course to MBA students. When not in class, Kevin is a Group Strategy Director at Razorfish’s Chicago office where he works on numerous Fortune ...
Lindsay is a fundraising consultant with more than 15 years of experience working with nonprofit organizations on fundraising and major gifts development, communications, and volunteer management.
Senior Associate Vice President and Campaign Manager, Office of Alumni Relations and Development Evanston, Illinois Associate Vice President and Campaign Manager, Office of Alumni Relations and Development Evanston, IL Associate Vice President, Schools & Programs; Office of Alumni Relations...
Here’s what I believe. We are in the midst of an overhaul in human exchange, driven by accelerating changes in technology that have created a more interconnected, open world. That world is creating almost infinite opportunities for real relationship building with people that matter—and infinite ...
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.