Who should attend
This program was created specifically for mid-level managers in the public sector who seek to enhance their leadership skills and organizational management effectiveness. Past participants include law enforcement and fire service supervisors, local and tribal government managers, federal and state government management and supervisors, elected officials, higher education administrators and board members of public institutions.
About the course
Public sector professionals are experiencing radical and ongoing change. Major macroeconomic, social, environmental and business trends will bring about a transformation in policies and in the way government agencies are managed. Our Fundamentals of Government Leadership program has been collaboratively designed between government leaders and professors from the University of Arizona to deliver highly relevant local government management training to prepare you for those changes.
What You’ll Learn
Our seminars are practical and interactive, based on action learning and exercises with world-class faculty who have both research and hands-on experience in public sector leadership development. Participants will learn the latest concepts and gain tools they can use right away. Eller Executive Education's organization process innovation capstone project offers participants the opportunity to work with others in applying their learning to current leadership challenges.
Sessions and Learning Objectives
- Examine the cognitive bias of fixedness
- Illustrate remarkable templates used by primates and people
- Learn and apply four techniques for driving creativity
- Conduct a force-field analysis to prepare for the change process
- Apply and work with a classic model of organizational change
- Effectively overcome resistance in your organization
- Learn how to get more of what you want from others
- Avoid the most common conflicts encountered in day-to-day life
- Create win-win situations for your employees and employer
- Define the concept of personal brand management
- Explore how personal brand affects career and leadership capabilities
- Identify ways to start, maintain or change professional brand
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.