Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Eller Executive Education.Full disclaimer.
About the course
Fundamentals of Government Leadership prepares mid-level managers for the challenges of leading local, state, and federal government in today’s ever-evolving environment. Public sector professionals are experiencing radical and ongoing change. Major macroeconomic, social, environmental and business trends will bring about a transformation in policies and in the way government and agencies are led and managed. Fundamentals of Government Leadership is a customized five-day program that has been collaboratively designed between government leaders and professors from the University of Arizona. Outcomes include:
- Novel techniques to drive creativity
- Persuasion through effective communication strategies
- Enacting and influencing sustainable change in organizations
- Solving community and organizational challenges
Program methodologies include action learning and exercises with world-class faculty who have both research and extensive experience in public sector leadership development. Leaders will learn the latest concepts and gain tools that they can use at work right away. Our Organization Process Innovation (OPI) capstone group learning project offers participants the opportunity to work with others in applying their learning to current leadership challenges. Participants earn a Certificate in Leadership from Eller Executive Education at the University of Arizona. They are immediately able to apply the learning to their day-to-day work and lead more effectively.
Day 1: DRIVING INNOVATION
- Examine the cognitive bias of fixedness.
- Illustrate remarkable templates used by primates and people.
- Learn and apply four techniques for driving creativity.
Day 2: STRATEGIC COMMUNICATION
- Leverage the power of framing.
- Drive recommendations with a clear, concise, and compelling writing style.
- Persuade stakeholders with engaging presentation design and delivery.
Day 3: NEGOTIATIONS
- Consensus building among various interests.
- Lead conflict negotiation.
- Collective bargaining fundamentals.
Day 4: LEADING CHANGE
- Conduct a force-field analysis to prepare for the change process.
- Apply and work with a classic model of organizational change.
- Effectively overcome resistance in your organization.
OPI Presentations & Graduation
Who should attend
Mid-level leaders in the public sector who seek to enhance their leadership skills and management effectiveness within the context of their organization. Past participants have included law enforcement and fire service supervisors, managers of local and tribal government, federal and state government managers and supervisors, elected officials, college administrators and board members of public institutions.