About the course
This course introduces participants to the theory and practice of financial planning. It provides an overview of the financial planning process and offers guidance for managing a client's risks while achieving goals through savings and investments. Topics include life, health, disability, and long-term care as well as property, Social Security, and personal liability insurance. In addition, the course covers time value of money and education and retirement funding. A financial calculator, such as an HP 12C or 10BII, is required.
Participants will be able to:
- Perform time value of money calculations by understanding the underlying concepts and utilizing technology.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the inter-relatedness of insurance, investments, retirement planning, income tax, and estate planning in the financial planning process and how the changing economic environment affects that process.
- Identify and quantify the financial objectives of a client through evaluation of financial statements and other data.
- Assess deficiencies, recommend corrections, and develop and maintain a financial plan.
- Articulate the code of ethics and professional responsibility to which practitioners must adhere.
- Communicate the concepts of risk assessment in a manner understandable to clients.
- Address the broad range of insurance instruments and how they may be evaluated and employed to manage the risk of loss of income and risks associated with property ownership and legal liabilities.
- Incorporate insurance into a client's overall financial plan.
- Articulate the ethical aspects of insurance advising
Bruce Starks is Faculty Director, Senior Instructor and Curriculum Developer at Greene Consulting Associates and is Founder and Lead Instructor in the Starks CFP® Examination Review in Atlanta. Manager of Learning Programs Greene Consulting Associates, LLC Lead the firm's national instructor-l...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.