Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This business finance training course is designed for:
Non-financial managers in every functional area of responsibility in all industries. It is the right time to get up to date on “Business Finan
About the course
How many times have you been sitting in a meeting with the Finance Director and they keep asking you about your ROI and your forecasts? Then the inevitable discussions about cutting your budgets start. What should you do and say in this situation? Many managers are experts in their own areas but haven’t really had the time to learn “Business Finance”. So MCE, has put together the essentials that you need to cover, in a 3-day intensive practical programme.
You need to be able to interpret financial reports that help you to make decisions based on the data as well as stand by those decisions. Secondly, it's by far easier to draft an accurate budget and defend it when presenting it to your boss and the finance director, when you speak their language. If you recognize yourself in these situations, MCE recommends “Business Finance for Non-Financial Managers”.
HIghlights of this top selling 3 day Business Finance programme include:
The programme covers:
- Write your own ticket – play a role in setting financial goals and measuring performance – you’ll be a greater asset to your organization
- Learn the basics in 3 days and become the one in the room who can use data to their advantage
- Master “the ask” – when you ask for money for your department, it’s a huge advantage to be able to use finance to state your case and support your recommendation
- Make smarter decisions – learn to interpret financial reports and make decisions based on the data they provide
- Measure your progress – through pre- and post-assessments, you’ll be able to see how much you have learned
How will you benefit?
After taking this programme, you will be able to:
- Get a better understanding of the numbers side of your job
- Learn how to “think finance” and translate performance into financial terms
- Develop proactive working relationships with finance professionals and increase your value to the organization
- Gain greater confidence with a working knowledge of business financials
- Understand the business dynamics of cash —and take initiatives that meet your short- and long-term goals
- Take the guesswork out of your decision making and use financial date to deliver a better bottom line
- Expand your professional expertise—and your career opportunities
- Network and learn from a diverse group of peers from different functions, industries and countries
- Develop a personal action plan to implement back at work
- Learn and practice finance skills using real life examples over 3 interactive days
What will you learn and practice?
The Business Finance for Non-Financial Managers is a 3-days hands-on training programme, highly interactive with exercises and role plays. The programme will be led by an experienced facilitator with former financial management experience in international companies.
Basic Accounting Concepts
- The Importance of the Accounting Equation
- The Accrual Process
- The Difference Between Accounting Profit and Cash Flow
Understanding Financial Statements
- Understand the Purpose of and Terminology Associated with the Following Financial Statements:
- Income Statement or Profit and Loss Statement (P&L)
- Balance Sheet
- Statement of Retained Earnings
- Cash Flow Statement
- Prepare a Set of Simple Financial Statements
- Understand the Accounting Process, from the Recording of Business Transactions to the Preparation of Financial Statements
- Understand How Various Business Transactions Affect the Financial Statements
Reviewing an Annual Report
- Various Components of an Annual Report
- Importance of Notes in Evaluating Financial Statements
- External Auditor's Role and the Significance of the Opinion Letter
Evaluating a Company's Financial Statements
- Calculate the Key Financial Ratios Using the Financial Statements
- Use Financial Ratios to Evaluate:
- An Organization's Liquidity, Leverage and Profitability
- The Performance of an Organization as Compared to Its Competitors'
- An Organization's Performance Compared with Budgeted Goals
- Identify Sources of Financial Information Beyond the Financial Statements
- Use the Dupont Formula to Evaluate Management Performance
- Use the Concept of Economic Value Added (EVA(R)) and Cash Flow Return on Investment (CFROI) to Determine if a Segment of an Organization Is Adding Value to the Business
Improving Profitability Through Cost Analysis and Profit Planning
- Differentiate Between Fixed and Variable Costs
- Help Your Organization Improve Profitability Through the Use of:
- Break-Even Analysis
- Contribution Margin Analysis
- Direct Costing in Appropriate Situations
- Understand Traditional Cost Accounting and Its Limitations
- Understand the Relevance of Activity-Based Costing in Today's Business Environment
Capital Expenditure Analysis
- Distinguish Between Capital Expenditure Budgets and Operating Budgets and Understand the Function of the Capital Budget
- Understand Why Cash Has a Time Value
- Recognize and Apply Different Methods of Evaluating Capital Expenditure and Monitoring Project Performance
Budgeting More Effectively
- Understand the Role of Budgeting and Issues That Budgets Can Solve
- Understand the Budgeting Process
- Identify Different Types of Budgeting Systems in Use Today
- Analyze Budgets for Different Purposes
- Recognize and Apply Different Methods of Evaluating and Monitoring Operating Performance
Prior to joining “Harlan” (2004-2010) and for 22 years, Damien held senior management positions as Manager Financial Controls, CFO, Deputy General Manager and General Manager in companies across several industries (construction, telecommunications, energy, life sciences). These companies were mai...
Andreas gathered experience both in academics (about 5 years) as well as in business where he occupied various positions during his 10 years in the manufacturing industry and more than 12 years in the oil & gas industry. He developed international management and leadership skills due to the f...
Francois’ expertise in Finance is built on more than 35 years of experience in this function, including more than 25 as a CFO. He has brought numerous contributions to world-class multinational companies in many industries: IT/high-tech, paper, pharma, oil & gas and environmental services. As...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.