About the course
Understand the current status of our connected future
This self-paced online module introduces participants to connected and automated vehicle technologies and their current research, development, and deployment status.
- Connected Vehicles: What? Why? How? (35 min)
- Deep Dive into Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC) (40 min)
- Why Automated Vehicles (AV)? & SAE AV Levels and Examples (46 min)
- Current Status and Challenges (28 min)
- AV Testing, Standards, and Regulations: Part 1 (37 min)
- AV Testing, Standards, and Regulations: Part 2 (28 min)
- A Major Bottleneck: Perception, Main Tools: Machine Vision and Artificial Intelligence (45 min)
TIME COMMITMENT AND WORK PACE
Modules are divided into shorter segments making it easier to learn at your own pace.
If completing a specialization, all four modules must be purchased together and completed in 180 days. For individual modules, you will have 60 days to complete.
Successful completion requires you to receive an 80% passing grade on the module assessment. Upon completing, you will earn a digital badge for your resume or professional profile.
CERTIFICATE OPTION AND SPECIALIZATIONS
Upon successful completion of 4 modules purchased as a group, you will receive the U-M Certificate in Current and Emerging Technologies.
Select 4 modules from one concentration to deepen your knowledge in a subject or area. If you choose a specialization, your certificate will note the specialization you completed.
PREREQUISITES & TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
There are no prerequisites for this module. A bachelor's degree in a science, engineering, or technical field is recommended, but not required.
To view technical requirements
The program requires a minimum of the following common set of tools and resources:
A high-speed internet connection outside of a corporate firewall is required to access online course lectures. Online students will need the following:
- Windows 10, Mac OS X v10.5+, or equivalent OS
- 4GB RAM
- 4GB free disk space
- A monitor capable of 1280 x 720 resolution
- Sound card and speakers
- High Speed Internet access (LAN, Cable modem or DSL)
- Latest version of Chrome, Firefox, or Safari
- Adobe Reader 10+
- Cookies enabled in your web browserъ
Administrative/Online Technical Support
Support staff are available via phone and email to help with administrative and technical issues during our normal business hours (Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time).
- Learn about the what, why, how, and current status of connected vehicle technologies
- Learn about the what, why, how, and current status of automated vehicle technologies, with special attention to their testing and major bottlenecks
Huei Peng received his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley in 1992. He is now a Professor at the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Michigan. His research interests include adaptive control and optimal control, with emphasis on their ...
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.