About the course
This innovative Business Fundamentals Certificate Program has been designed to provide you with a solid foundation of understanding in four key business areas and gives you a glimpse into how businesses work and how you should meld business thinking with your scientific thinking for your success.
- Strategy and Human Resources
A flexible program that is:
- Primarily online
- Delivered by UC Davis Graduate School of Management faculty and viticulture and enology industry experts
- Three required in-person sessions to reinforce learning and encourage collaboration
- Analysis of real-world viticulture and enology business scenarios with presentations on the final Saturday
- Understand double entry (debits and credits) accounting and the Accounting Equation.
- Be able to identify the different types of transactions and how they are reported.
- Differentiate between the accounts and the nature of those accounts and how transactions are summarized into financial statements.
- Learn the fundamental accounting concepts that ensure to comparability and consistency of how different businesses report their activity.
- Understand the time value of money and its application in personal and business finance.
- Be able estimate free cash flows in projects and company valuations.
- Differentiate between fundamental (discounted cash flows) and relative valuation processes.
- Learn the concepts of cost of equity, cost of debt and the cost of capital and apply them to value projects and companies.
There are four fundamental learning objectives for this module. First, you will understand how to analyze the marketing environment – the consumers, the competition, the channels of distribution, the controls and regulations, and the internal constraints of an organization. It is within this environmental context that most marketing activities occur. Second, you will understand tools you have available as a marketer to adapt to the environment you are in. Third, you will understand how the tools interact with each other – i.e., how your pricing decision affects (and is affected by) the features you want to include in your product. Finally, you will learn how to integrate the elements of your marketing strategy you have designed for your product.
Strategy and Human Resources
The objective of this course is to help you develop skills to analyze and address issues of firm performance and how managers affect it through strategy. As part of your skill development, you will learn strategic analysis tools, including models and frameworks to help you diagnose organizational issues and make recommendations to improve or sustain performance. Some of the work required for this course is independent and some will be performed in groups. Because top managers must typically coordinate and integrate their activities and strategies as part of a top management team, the ability to work in teams is a critical part of their work. By the end of the course, we expect that you will be more knowledgeable about the sources of superior firm performance.
Research expertise: advertising, brand management, promotions, international marketing and consumer behavior Dean and Professor H. Rao Unnava’s research focuses on issues related to brand loyalty, consumer response to advertising and sales promotions and consumer memory. His work has appeared i...
Research Expertise: Organizational theory, organizational behavior, social networks, job mobility, technology and innovation Associate Professor Gina Dokko’s research focuses on organizational theory and behavior, careers, social networks, and technology and innovation. Recently she’s been examin...
Visiting Faculty Gregory Perelman has worked in the U.S. banking industry since 1990. For the last 15 years he has been employed by Wells Fargo Bank in various finance and management positions. He is based in San Francisco, where he conducts analysis of small business credit markets in the U.S. a...
Mr. Davis is the Partner-in-Charge of the Firm’s Sacramento, CaliforniaTax Practice. He has more than 28 years of experience providing tax compliance and consulting services to closely held business, their owners in the food and food production related businesses. He works closely with his client...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.