Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
About the course
The purpose of this course is to help a business professional understand the financial accounting process and to develop skills necessary to evaluate an enterprise’s financial position and its operating, investing, and financing activities. The first part of the course emphasizes the measurement concepts and the mechanics of moving from business transactions to the principal financial statements: balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash Flows. The second part introduces tools for analyzing financial statements, with an emphasis on integrating industry economic and business strategic factors into the analysis and interpretations.
Key frameworks include:
– Measuring Financial Position: Balance Sheet – Measuring Operating Performance: Income Statement – Measuring Cash Flows – Financial Statement Analysis – Pro-Forma Financial Statements (Budgeting, Sensitivity)
Module 1 - Measuring Financial Position - Balance Sheet
- Pre – reads : Overview & Balance Sheet
- Balance Sheet Basics
- Measurement & Recognition of Assets and Liabilities
- Recognition Principles
- Shareholder Equity – Types
- Double Entry Book Keeping – Overview
- Problem Set: Balance Sheet for Small Beginnings Corporation
Module 2 - Measuring Operating Performance - Income Statement
- Pre – reads on Income Statement
- Income Statement Basics
- Cash versus Accrual Basis in Accounting
- Revenue Recognition and Expense Measurement
- Relation between Income Statement & Balance Sheet
- Accounting Process
- Comprehensive Example with Closing Entries: General Enterprises
- Problem Set: Balance Sheet for Up-and-Running Corporation
Module 3 - Measuring Cash Flows
- Pre-reads on Statement of Cash Flows
- Statement of Cash Flow Basics
- Informational Value of the Statement of Cash Flow
- Relationship Between the Three Financial Statements
- Preparing a Statement of Cash Flow
- Comprehensive Example: Preparation of Statement of Cash Flow
- First Step Company
- Analysis of Statement of Cash Flow
- Problem Set: Statement of Cash Flow for Aston Corporation
Module 4 - Financial Statement Analysis
- Pre-reads on Financial Statement Analysis Framework
- Financial Statement Analysis Basics
- Return on Assets, Return on Equity
- Role of Financial Leverage
- Key Risk Ratios
- Working Capital Management
- Prepare Case: Wal-Mart Profitability & Risk
- Discussion: Wal-Mart Profitability & Risk
Module 5 - Pro Forma Financial Statements (Budgeting, Sensitivity)
- Pre-reads on Pro Forma Financial Statements
- Projection: Revenues & Expenses
- Projection: Asset Structure & Capital Structure
- Projection: Expenses, Cash Balance, and Cash Flow
- Pro Forma Analysis
- Budgets and Performance Targets
- Prepare Case: Wal-Mart Pro Forma Financial Statements
Module 6 - Wrapping Up
- Final Examination
Emeritus follows a unique online model. This model has ensured that nearly 90 percent of our learners complete their course.
The first week is orientation week. During this week you will be introduced to the other participants in the class from across the world. You will also learn how to use the learning platform and other learning tools provided.
On other weeks, you have learning goals set for the week. The goals would include watching the video lectures and completing the assignments. All assignments have weekly deadlines.
The recorded video lectures are by faculty from the collaborating university.
Every few weeks, there are live webinars conducted by Emeritus course leaders. Course leaders are highly-experienced industry practitioners who contextualize the video lectures and assist with questions you may have regarding your assignments. Live webinars are usually conducted between 1 pm and 3 pm UTC on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
In addition to the live webinars, for some courses, the course leaders conduct Office Hours, which are webinar sessions that are open to all learners. During Office Hours, learners ask questions and course leaders respond. These are usually conducted every alternate week to help participants clarify their doubts pertaining to the content.
The Emeritus Program Support team members will follow up and assist over email and via phone calls with learners who are unable to submit their assignments on time.
Continued Course Access
Continued Course Access You will continue to have access to the course videos and learning material for up to 12 months from the course start date.
Assignments are given out weekly and they are based on the lectures or tutorials provided. They need to be completed and submitted as per the deadline for grading purposes. Extensions may be provided based on a request sent to the support team.
It is an open forum where participants pin their opinions or thoughts regarding the topic under discussion.
These are real world scenario-based assignments involving an up-close, in-depth, and detailed examination of a subject of study, as well as its related contextual conditions.
Emeritus Program Support Team
If at any point in the course you need tech, content or academic support, you can email program support and you will typically receive a response within 24 working hours or less.
You can access Emeritus courses on tablets, phones and laptops. You will require a high-speed internet connection.
On completing the course you join a global community of 5000+ learners on the Emeritus Network. The Network allows you to connect with Emeritus past participants across the world.
BENEFITS TO THE LEARNER
- Professional acceleration through our enriched leadership toolkit
- Learn while you earn
- Get noticed. Get ahead.
- Build new networks through peer interaction
- Benefit from diverse class profile
- Certificate from Emeritus in collaboration with Tuck School of Business At Dartmouth
- Global Business Education
- Rigorous and experiential curriculum
- World-renowned faculty
- Globally connected classroom: peer to peer learning circles
- Action learning: learning by doing
Bio Phil Stocken specializes in accounting and business analysis. He teaches accounting and financial management, analysis, and reporting in both executive education programs and MBA classes. He is highly skilled at conveying the essential information in financial statements and financial stateme...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.