Who should attend
- CFOs & Finance Managers
- MBA’s & Business Undergraduates
- Business & Financial Analysts
- Financial Controllers and Accountants
- Directors, GMs, VPs, Senior Managers, Managers
- Corporate Finance & Business Development Professionals
- Anyone seeking to improve their data analytics skill set
- Heads of Business Units & Business Planners
- Industry Consultants
- Project Managers and Risk Analysts
- Finance & Accounting staff
- Risk Managers and Portfolio Managers
About the course
The purpose of this training is to enhance your existing Excel modeling skills and learn how to build and modify financial models faster by learning and applying industry best practices. The seminar highlights the core financial model design and construction techniques that every modeler should know. This seminar will allow participants to adopt a structured and comprehensive design strategy to develop rigorous financial models, in less time and with greater accuracy. This hands-on workshop will also teach you how to perform risk analysis and apply uncertainty into a model and undertake a more dynamic analysis to improve decision making by developing a risk assessment into an @RISK model.
This 2-day seminar focuses on best practices and is based in case studies and real-life examples, using a highly effective hands-on intuitive training approach. It is designed for professionals who need to build flexible and transparent spreadsheet models by learning and applying industry best practices. Participants follow the instructor, while building their own financial models on their own laptop computers; in this way they immediately practice what they have been taught.
Participants will also cover how to build models accurately and efficiently through a series of best practice modeling rules, how to stress-test the assumptions used, to check their work efficiently and to document it.
It is important to acquire this core financial modelling knowledge and master key spreadsheet functions. In addition, through a comprehensive hands-on training approach participants learn how to perform risk analysis and apply uncertainty into their models and undertake a more dynamic analysis to improve their decision making. Participants will be introduced to the concepts and methods necessary to develop a risk assessment and will learn to expand their existing deterministic Excel analysis into a @RISK model so that to quantify exposure and test mitigation strategies. The importance of correlation between model inputs will be presented and business and modeling decisions will be compared.
Key Learning Outcomes
- Understand essential steps in designing simple, yet powerful financial models and cope with well-known model complexities by applying best practice modelling principles and techniques
- Apply core and advanced spreadsheet functions and techniques to construct effective models
- Master the development of models for project appraisal and decision making
- Learn to create and compare alternative scenarios – base case, best case, worst case.
- Identify the importance of uncertainty for model building and decision making and LEARN how to select distributions and incorporate uncertainty in a financial model.
- Apply and interpret Monte Carlo simulation results and learn how to combine optimization and simulation
Benefits for you
- Enhance your Financial Modeling skills by learning the latest methods and tools to create solid financial models, following industry best practices.
- It would be a valuable opportunity to capitalize on the trainer’s well rounded experience and in-depth knowledge on the topic.
- The case studies will leave you with hands-on experience that will yield immediate benefits to your daily work.
Explore and Practice the core Financial Modeling Design and Construction techniques:
- Introduction and Overview of the Seminar
- Effective Model Design & Construction – Best practices overview
- Separating Inputs, Calculations and Outputs – Key Modeling tips & steps
- Preventing critical errors
- Techniques to reduce potential errors, error-check creation
- Which function or formula is most appropriate in alternative Modeling situations?
- Review of the most commonly-used Excel functions in financial Modeling
- Timing Issues (Corkscrews, Base calculations etc)
- Smart Techniques for quick and efficient Modeling – Use of keyboard shortcuts
Advanced Excel techniques for creating automatically expanding charts and ranges:
- Sensitivity Analysis & Optimization techniques
- Reporting and Managing Results/Outputs
- Adding uncertainty to deterministic models using @RISK environment
- Select the proper distributions depending on the nature of their model / project
- Fit distributions to data
- Perform Simulating and fine-tune simulation settings
- Incorporate correlation in risk analysis and discuss its importance
Mr. Dimitris Leimonis is the Managing Director of Financial Arena, a London-based consultancy specializing in financial modelling, data analytics, business intelligence, firm valuation and risk analysis. He attained in becoming one of the first financial modelling experts globally to be accredite...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.