Who should attend
This programmeis specifically designed for managers and supervisors who need a basic understanding of the principles of finance, those new to a role with responsibility for financial control, or anyone working with finance and accounting staff.
About the course
At Bristol Business School, our portfolio of open programmes offers you and your business a flexible learning solution. We have a variety of programmes covering a wide range of topics including Finance, Strategy, Marketing, Leadership, Coaching and Mentoring, Innovation, and Design Thinking, among many others. Our programmes are delivered by experienced practitioners and academics who combine cutting-edge thinking with a practical, real-world focus to help meet professional and industry needs.
As a decision-maker in a small or medium sized business you can use financial information to resolve problems and improve performance. This programme will provide you with the basic skills and understanding of how to do this.
What do I get out of it?
At the end of the programme, you will have:
- Greater confidence in using and analysing the main financial statements to aid decision-making
- An appreciation of the uses of internal management accounting
What does it cover?
- Income Statement, Statement of Financial Position and Cash Flow Statement - an introduction to the main financial statements and the concepts used in producing these statements.
- Interpreting and Analysing Financial Statements - how to interpret the content of the accounting statements using ratio analysis
- The basics of cost analysis - how to classify costs that are suitable for internal decision making
- How to use cost analysis for decision-making - different techniques that can be used for both short and long term decision making.
How will I learn?
The programme is delivered in a very practical way through the use of a number of mini case studies. Please bring a calculator with you. You may also want to bring copies of any financial reports that you need to have an understanding of and these can be explained confidentially with you.
I am the MBA Programme Manager at Bristol Business School and a Senior Lecturer in Accounting and Finance. Previously, I have worked as a Management Accountant for a large confectionary manufacturing organization before joining the University of the West of England in 1991. I am an Associate Memb...
Read more about Digital Transformation
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.