Who should attend
- Managers in any disciplinary background (outside of the finance function)
- Non-finance specialists, including lawyers, engineers, general managers, operations managers, project managers, IT managers, HR managers, business analysts, marketing and sales managers, company directors, entrepreneurs, NGO/NFP workers.
About the course
Explore the essentials of accounting, finance and value creation
Managers who understand finance are able to engage more confidently with their accounting and finance colleagues, and contribute more effectively to collaborative decision making processes. They are also better qualified to progress to senior executive positions.
This is a hands-on course using real company data and Excel spreadsheets. Designed for professionals from non-finance backgrounds, this program will equip you with a practical understanding of accounting, finance and value creation.
- Learn from industry experts
- Gain a practical understanding of finance with clear, useful guidance
- Confidently interpret finance information
This program provides a working understanding of foundational accounting and finance concepts, enabling participants to engage confidently and meaningfully in financial and senior management contexts, and interpret financial information.
You will learn to:
- Speak the language of accounting and finance
- Use finance concepts such as cost of capital, net present value and variable cost to assist in managerial decision making
- Understand the characteristics and limitations of economic success measures such as NPAT, EBIT, ROA and EVA
- Define the purpose of each financial statement
- Determine how business activities impact the financial statements, and use statements to identify performance questions
- Calculate profit, net assets and cash flow for a business
What you'll learn
Day 1: Key principles and financial statements
- Jargon busting
- Foundational accounting principles
- Understanding the financial statements and key links between them
- Income statement in depth
- Balance sheet in depth
- Cash flow statement in depth
- Case company and Excel exercises
Day 2: Creating value in practice
- Financial ratios in context
- Top 20 financial metrics
- Unpacking raw metrics with the Du Pont identities
- How value is created or destroyed
- Role of financial leverage and capital structure
- Cost of capital calculations (WACC)
- Connecting execution and strategy through the language of finance
- Return on Invested Capital
- Net Present Value
Jennifer has a unique professional toolkit developed over 25+ years of service to business and finance. At the core of her skillset is a broad and deep understanding of corporate finance, strategy and risk. These technical skills are enhanced by her connective creativity, critical thinking and in...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.