Who should attend
This course is essential if you want to gain in-depth knowledge of the techniques used by fashion buyers and merchandisers to drive profits and develop successful fashion retail brands. You should have some experience of the fashion industry, and some experience of buying and merchandising is helpful, but not essential. If this area is completely new to you, you may want to consider our Fashion Buying and Merchandising online course.
About the course
Trend-led fashion is all about capturing key looks from the catwalk to the high street, as quickly as possible and at an affordable price. The buyer and merchandiser for any retailer will play a key role in making this happen. The course will cover how buying and merchandising teams plan and strategise for the season ahead, how they work with the supply chain to design and manufacture quickly and inexpensively, and always strive to stay ahead of the competition.
You will also learn the differences between buying and merchandising private labels vs brands for multi-brand stores, the importance of social media and the future of commercial fashion. This course uses real-life up-to-date case studies and practical assignments for you to develop your skills.
- Roles of the buyer and merchandiser
- Fashion retailers and brands
- Planning - strategy and budgets
- Competitor shopping and SWOT analysis
- Buying - range planning, sourcing new brands and suppliers
- Reacting to trends (from the catwalk to the high street)
- Trading and stock management
- WSSI (Weekly Sales Stock Intake) and OTB (Open To Buy)
By the end of this course you will have;
- Developed a strong understanding of the roles of fashion buyers and merchandisers
- Learnt how buying techniques and fashion trading leads to successful fashion business
- An understanding of how buyers and merchandisers use in-season trading to make the newest trends available to their customers
- Realised the importance of trends and how buyers and merchandisers react to them effectively
- An understanding of effective buying and merchandising strategies
- Received personal feedback and insider knowledge from an industry expert
A respected and highly successful premium and luxury Women’s and Men’s Retailer, currently Associate Lecturer at London College of Fashion. Career to date is a story of considerable commercial success, as seen in the transformation of the handbag department at a major department store from a prov...
Read more about Digital Transformation
Read more about Transportation and Logistics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.