Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.
Who should attend
This training course is designed for contracting personnel. Noncontracting personnel will also benefit from taking this course.
About the course
The Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) governs Federal contracting and is a critical guide to properly carrying out acquisition and contracting activities. You will be immersed in the FAR and emerge knowledgeable of its effects on the government contracting process from Parts 1 through 53. Not only will you be able to locate and understand regulations, provisions, and clauses but you will also navigate the online FAR as you wrestle with realistic, scenario-based contracting problems.
- Identify the basic framework of the federal acquisition environment and locate, cite, and interpret information in the FAR
- Identify the policies and procedures related to acquisition planning, preferred and required sources, competition requirements, types of contracts, special contracting methods, describing agency needs, publicizing contract actions, and socioeconomic programs
- Identify polices and procedures for soliciting offers, evaluating bids and offers, conducting exchanges with offerors, awarding contracts, managing protests, and conducting simplified acquisitions
- Identify the fundamental concepts of administration, the rights of parties when contract performance is unacceptable, applicable payment clauses, contract modifications, contract disputes, terminations, and closeout
- Promulgation of the FAR
- Relationship between the FAR and Other Authorities Governing Procurements
- The FAR, Congress, and Judicial and Other Tribunals
- The FAR and Federal Contracts
- Other Topics
Using the FAR
- Organization and Arrangement of the FAR
- Determining the Applicability of the Rules
- Putting It All Together
Acquisition Planning Process
- Guiding Principles for the Federal Acquisition System
- Determining Capable Sources
- Exercise: Who Gets It?
- Competition and the Open Market
- Exercise: Competition Requirements
Methods of Contracting
- Contracting Methods Permissible Under the FAR
- Exercise: Methods of Contracting
Types of Contracts
- Contracts Types Available for Acquisitions
- Exercise: Name the Cost and Pricing Arrangement
Options and Indefinite Delivery Contracts
- Policies and Procedures for Options and Indefinite Delivery Contract Use
- Exercise: Identify the Special Contracting Method
Describing Agency Needs
- Product or Service Descriptions
- In-Class Exercise: Unduly Restrictive Specification?
- In-Class Exercise: Bundled or Not?
Publicizing Contract Actions
- Policies and Procedures for Contract Opportunities
- Exercise: Publicizing Contract Actions
- Implementing Socioeconomic Policies
- Exercise: Application of Labor Laws
Contract Formation Principles
- Universal Principles of Contract Formation
- Exercise: Contract Formation Principles
- Exercise: Do We Have a Contract? (Part 1)
- Exercise: Do We Have a Contract? (Part 2)
Solicitation of Offers
- Contract Formation Process
- Exercise: Provision/Clause Section
- Exercise: Responding to Inquiries from Potential Offerors
- Exercise: Submission of Offers
- Evaluating Bids
- Exercise: Trouble at the Bid Opening
Proposal Evaluation and Exchanges with Offerors
- Evaluating Proposals
- Exercise: Proposal Evaluation/Exchanges with Offerors
- Rules around Contract Award
- Exercise: Contract Award
- Bid Protests and Size Status Protests
- Exercise: Protests
Simplified Acquisition Procedures
- Policies and Procedures Pertaining to Simplified Acquisition Procedures
- Exercise: What's the Threshold?
- Exercise: The Purchase Order Problem
Initiation of Work
- Initiating Performance of Work
- Exercise: Contract Administration Basics
- Exercise: Contract Administration Planning
- Exercise: Postaward Orientation
Contract Performance Measurement
- Policies and Procedures for Monitoring
- Exercise: Time, Money, Both, or Neither
- Exercise: The Inspection and Acceptance Case
- Exercise: A Day at the Races
- Making Payment
- Exercise: The Payment Case
- Exercise: Should You Allow?
- Adjusting the Contract
- Exercise: Request from Your Agency Head
- Exercise: The Case of the Sympathetic Contracting Officer
- Exercise: Out of Scope?
Disputes and Appeals
- Policies and Procedures for Processing Contract Disputes and Appeals
- Exercise: A Valid Claim?
- Exercise: A Valid Contracting Officer's Decisions
- Contract Terminations
- Exercise: The Termination Case
- Contract Closeouts
- Exercise: Contract Closeout