Family Business Executive Program
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Strathmore Business School.Full disclaimer.
“Familiness” is a resource that can create uniqueness and a critical source of competitive advantage to a business. Almost all companies start out as family businesses, but only those that master the challenges intrinsic to this form of ownership endure growth, maintain collegiality and harmony as a family and achieve success in the business. In the process they transition successfully across generations and proceed to prosper and diversify into multi- location and multi-industry businesses. Family-owned firms have the capacity to be top performing companies in their respective industries while nurturing the common identity and care within a family. But at the same time they are at the risk of family hazards that can overspill and engulf them. Family relationships are a double-edged sword for the family business. The strong network of family relationships, the clear and shared objectives among family members are key benefits, as they enable the family business to forge a strong identity and common purpose. Yet the closeness of family relationships can also lead to disaster, due to conflicts between family members, and the difficulty in managing the relationship between the family, the business and the ownership.
Key Focus Areas
- What is a family business strategy? How can it be linked with corporate business policies?
- What are the dynamics and links that affect the family, the business and ownership?
- Has your family set up the policies and structures that guide the family and the business?
- Has conflict been anticipated? Is there a conflict management policy?
- How will the family entrepreneurial spirit be maintained as the family grows?
- What risks does the family business face with family values in a rapidly changing society?
- What is the family business succession plan? Is it documented?
- As a leader how do I make siblings work together, hold the dream and maintain the legacy?
The Family Business Program will draw together a cross-cultural team of lecturers and practitioners, and will focus on the African context of Family Business with best practice insights from world renowned family business societies and countries. The teaching style is modern, lively and engaging, deploying brief knowledge sessions, videos, topical cases and interactive dialogue sessions. The 3 day program will end in an interactive and exclusive roundtable session with top Family Business leaders and practitioners.The Family Business Program will be held at SBS’s brand-new, state-of-the-art Nairobi campus.
Who should attend
The Family Business Program is reserved exclusively for family business founders, 2nd, 3rd and successive generation family members who are currently executive directors, non-executive directors and board members of their respective family businesses. Chief executives and board level senior managers of family businesses may also attend if accompanied by family members who are directors of the family business.