Failure Analysis and Prevention for Engineering Materials, Structures and Devices
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Nanyang Technological University Center for Continuing Education.Full disclaimer.
In manufacturing a component or constructing a structure, design engineers typically consider pertinent factors such as functional requirements, reliability, safety, cost and adverse environmental conditions that might potentially affect their design. Unfortunately, we regularly come across failure of various engineering designs due to limitations in material performance having been altogether overlooked or critical loading conditions having been conveniently ignored in the analysis.
With failure analysis becoming increasingly important to engineers and designers, the aim of this course is to provide an intensive introduction to the subject via vivid case examples. In particular, relevant aspects of the mechanical behaviour of materials to the design process are explored and explained.
Upon completion of this short course, participants will be able:
- To analyse engineering failures critically in a given design by considering all possible failure mechanisms (sometimes, these failure mechanisms may be competing with one another).
- To understand the significance of generic mechanical properties of materials and their behaviour when influenced by structural, process and environmental considerations.
- To obtain greater exposure to the inter-relationship among the material, functional and analytical aspects of the design process.
This course will be taught by means of real life case examples. Structural or component failures that involve the following mechanisms will be thoroughly examined.
- Elastic instability
- Plastic yielding
- Brittle fracture
- Fast fracture
- Fatigue mechanisms
- Corrosion and other environmental failure
- Failure of composites
- Failure Inspection Techniques, including NDT
Case studies also include failure analysis from mechanical engineering, aerospace, maritime and off-shore structures, mechanical/thermal failures in electronic devices etc.
Who should attend
This course is relevant for practicing engineers in the industry (mechanical, automotive, aerospace, marine), researchers, professional engineers (PEs), designers, manufacturers and technical specialists with interests centered on the problems and challenges associated with failure analysis and design implications of engineering structures and components.