Who should attend
Aspiring, newly-appointed and current board members, senior management of corporations, government and non-profit organisations and senior partners of professional firms who interact with the boards of corporations and would like to understand the intricacies of board roles and responsibilities.
About the course
This programme offers an ideal opportunity to strengthen your understanding of the director’s role and how to serve the firm more effectively.
Directors today play a vital leadership role. A Director’s activities can be diverse, including oversight of the firm, performance reviews, budget and salary approval, managing relations with a growing stakeholder base, and playing a role in the M&A process. Today, directors must also consider a host of emerging challenges that impact the firm and its customers. Sustainability, globalisation, and evolving business models in response to digital technologies are just a few of the challenges.
In partnership with the Singapore Institute of Directors (SID), this unique six-module directorship programme provides a 360-degree board-level view of key strategic areas and issues faced by company directors.
By the end of the programme your key takeaways will include the following.
- Increased understanding of the role of company directors
- Practical frameworks and strategies to effectively manage the critical issues around risk management, CSR, C-level succession planning and compensation, and more
- Overview and development of key frameworks for legal issues and prudent strategies to help boards navigate in today's litigious environment
- Soft skills development for managing relations and challenging discussions between board members.
This programme offers an ideal opportunity to strengthen your understanding of the director’s role and how to serve the firm more effectively. The intimate class size fosters interactions between current and new board members, faculty and leading practitioners in various fields. In addition, the modular design which can be taken non-sequentially gives you great flexibility. Participants who complete Modules 1, 2 and 3 will be awarded the Executive Certificate in Directorship. Upon successful completion of all six modules, participants will be awarded an Executive Diploma in Directorship.
The modules in this programme are:
- Module 1: The Role of Directors: Duties, Responsibilities and Legal Obligations
- Explain the structure and operations of the board.
- Describe the role and duties of directors on a board, and directors' inter- relationships.
- Explain the consequences of a breach of director obligations.
- Module 2: Assessing Strategic Performance: The Board Level View
- Identify the nuances and practicalities as well as apply the techniques of valuation of companies.
- Describe the key issues arising out of execution of mergers and acquisitions in order to ensure that value is created.
- Understand the key impacts and considerations of digital disruption on organisations.
- Identify situations where digital transformation can be a benefit and a threat.
- Employ culture and leadership to drive passion and productivity.
- Understand and employ behavioural design in global growth.
- Module 3: Finance for Directors
- Explain company accounts and how to evaluate the financial health of companies using accepted methods in financial statement analyses.
- Understand how to evaluate and make rational financial decisions.
- Provide knowledge of the different sources of funds for a company.
- Discuss dividend decisions and policies.
- Explain how various actions will impact shareholder value.
- Module 4: Risk and Crisis Management
- Develop strategies to anticipate and prevent crises from occurring.
- Deal effectively with crises as and when they do occur.
- Implement contingency plans to cope.
- Institute recovery measures to re-build image, reputation and regain the confidence of key stakeholders.
- Module 5: Strategic Corporate Social Responsibility and Investor Relations
- Explain strategic CSR and its impact on business value.
- Describe the CSR landscape in Singapore.
- Outline the requirements of corporate social reporting.
- Provide an understanding on how to integrate CSR into a company’s core business objectives in order to create business value and achieve positive social and environmental impact on Investor Relations.
- Understand how business valuation is carried out through the application of the various valuation approaches/methods commonly used by business valuers.
- Understand business valuation for financial reporting in the context of fair value measurement, in particular, the purchase price allocation process, valuation of identifiable intangible assets and impairment testing.
- Learn about the structure and the essential components of the valuation report as prepared by the business valuers for communication to relevant stakeholders.
- Module 6: Effective Succession Planning and Compensation Decisions
- Provide an understanding of how to design a succession planning programme to ensure continuity of talent in key C-suite positions.
- Share approach to define the need for these key leadership roles and identify which employees should be developed to fill these positions in the future.
- Provide insight on how to develop effective compensation plans that are closely linked to a company’s talent strategy and aligned with its goal of creating shareholder value.
- Outline the different methods by which CEO and top executive compensation is benchmarked and measured.
Head of Business Valuation and Advisory, Southeast Asia, Savills Founding Chairman, Institute of Valuers and Appraisers of Singapore Adjunct Associate Professor, Nanyang Business School, NTU Eric Teo is the Head of Business Valuation and Advisory, Southeast Asia at Savills and is an adjunct asso...
EDUCATION 2017 PhD in Finance, University of New South Wales (UNSW) 2010 Master of Business Research, University of Western Australia (UWA) 1996 MBA, London Business School 1991 BAcc, National University of Singapore CURRENT APPOINTMENTS 2006 - Now Senior Lecturer of Finance Lee Ko...
Adrian is Head of the Corporate Department and a Senior Partner at Lee & Lee. He joined Lee & Lee in 1989. He is recommended as a Leading Individual for Corporate/M&A in Singapore by Chambers Global in The Client’s Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, which described h...
LL.M., University of Melbourne, 1995 LL.B., National University of Singapore, 1989 Advocate and Solicitor (Singapore), 1990 ACADEMIC POSITIONS HELD Current Appointment: * Associate Professor of Law, Singapore Previous Appointments: * Director, Continuing Legal Education, May 2012-Jun 2018 * A...
Fermin Diez has more than 30 years of experience in human resources, which includes consulting, corporate and academic roles in 40 countries in all continents. Fermin is an Adjunct Faculty at Singapore Management University (SMU). He co-authored the book ‘Human Capital and Global Business Strate...
Jeanette’s career spans strategic planning, mergers & acquisitions, corporate finance and logistics and operational restructuring, among others. Over the last 18 years, she has structured, negotiated and implemented more than US$13 billion of cross-border projects within Asia, United States, ...
Janice Armstrong is a Singapore based associate with CS&A. She has 30 years experience in issues and crisis communications, government affairs and media relations in Asia, Latin America and North America. During the past decade in Asia, she held senior Vice President positions in Corporate an...
Shai Ganu is the Business Leader for Mercer’s Talent business across Asia. He leads a team of 150+ consultants who are trusted advisors to clients on issues relating to Rewards, Leadership and Talent Management, Business Transformation, and Workforce Planning & Analytics. His main focus areas...
Hwang Soo Chiat is an Associate Professor of Accounting at the School of Accountancy, Singapore Management University. Since graduation, Soo Chiat has worked in various management positions from Accountant/ Group Accountant of a group of companies involved in manufacturing, property development, ...
Videos and materials
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.