Who should attend
The program has been designed for:
- Executives and senior managers at the federal, provincial or municipal levels of government, as well as the broader public sector, who are looking to increase the effectiveness of their department or agency
- High-potential professionals in the public sector who wish to develop their skills to the next level and aspire to senior level leadership in the government or not-for-profit sectors
- Public-sector leaders who will be succeeding to higher levels as current senior personnel retire
- Professionals in the private sector who interface with government
About the course
Transform your organization for sustained success as part of your leadership legacy
Communicating With Impact
Effective leadership requires polished skills to engage diverse audiences at all levels. Critical communication skills, both written and verbal, accelerate career success and are essential to the cohesive and prosperous operation of any organization.
- Unleash personal communication strenghts to increase impact so that your message is heard, understood and remembered
- Gain new insights about your communication style tendencies and how they can both engage and disengage others
- Present your ideas to executive audiences convincingly for increased buy-in and commitment
- Write more clearly and persuasively to diverse readers
Leading in Crisis
With constant and rapid change in the global environment, and with social media intensifying the “fish bowl” effect, it seems that crises have become a daily occurrence for public sector leaders. Learning to manage critical situations has become an essential skill to ensure that public sector organizations have the resilience to adapt and succeed.
- Manage critical situations to ensure that your organization has the resilience to adapt and succeed in torday’s turbulent world
- Identify the nature of a crisis – its characteristics and consequences
- Learn the main features of a crisis management plan, including the communication component.
- Reflect on one’s leadership style in time of crisis.
The Leader’s Challenge
The changing and complex public-sector environment requires a paradigm shift in thinking about leadership. This module explores the dynamics of individual and organizational leadership – how to lead with clarity and authenticity, and with courage and passion, from where you are in your organization.
- Foster the greatest levels of performance for yourself and your team in an increasingly uncertain environment
- What distinguishes effective leaders?
- Clarify your vision, values and your leadership “brand”
Integrative Case Study and the Future of Public Management
Apply all the skills learned in this program to identify common issues and opportunities in public sector management.
- Work on a case study where you will analyze, prepare options and propose recommendations
- Senior public service guest speakers give their perspectives on advancing in the public sector
Biography Michelle brings more than 25 years of proven and successful leadership, coaching, training and consulting experience, including work with three of Canada’s Top-50 employers, a Financial Post Top-100 organization and a Greater Toronto 2011 and 2013 Top-50 Employer. Michelle is an organiz...
Gail Levitt, president of Levitt Communications Inc., is an influential leadership facilitator, coach and mentor with a unique approach that engages and inspires participants to learn and apply both theory and practice for peak performance. Gail offers a wide range of influential leadership topic...
Biography Peter is one of Canada’s leading practitioner-academics in the area of public policy and administration. He has worked as a senior civil servant, chief of staff to a cabinet minister, lobbyist and international consultant. As a professor in the School of Public Policy and Administration...
Biography Lee-Anne McAlear is an award-winning facilitator, speaker, writer and consultant. She is a program director and sought-after lecturer at the Schulich Executive Education Centre, Schulich School of Business at York University, and a featured speaker with the National Speakers Bureau, spe...
Atipol is a highly rated professor at the Shulich School of Business at York University. He specializes in alternative financial arrangements, international technology transfer, multinational corporations as well as economic development of South East Asia.
Biography JP Gedeon is a nationally recognized, published expert in leadership, leadership psychology, corporate transformation and cultural change. Over the past 20 years, he has held executive level positions in the private, public, academic and association sectors, having developed many of the...
Biography Ian Macdonald is President Emeritus, York University; Professor of Public Policy and Economics and Director of the Master of Public Administration Program at Schulich School of Business. Prior to his time at York University, Ian has held positions as Chief Economist, Deputy Treasurer an...
Gérald Cossette was appointed Director of FINTRAC on October 15, 2012, and Chair of the Heads of Federal Agencies in July 2013. Prior to this, he served as Associate Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs (starting in June 2009) and as the Prime Minister’s personal representative for the G8 and the N...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.