Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Háskólinn í Reykjavík.Full disclaimer.
For students wanting to learn foundational coaching skills as conveniently as possible, the Open University at RU offers a training program called CEFTP (Core Essentials Fast Track Program). The course is organized in cooperation with CoachU, an established training company.
The CEFTP course introduces students to the core coaching competencies and skills required to effectively coach others. The program is accredited by the ICF and meets the academic requirements for the Associate Certified Coach (ACC) certification through the International Coach Federation (ICF).
The program offers beginner and intermediate courses to develop core coaching competency. In addition, the knowledge in developing an internal or external coaching practice or business, and personal development for sustainable success in coaching. These skills are essential for coaches providing individual and/or organizational coaching services. The program is enhanced with practice and project labs.
All RU coaching students will have free access for six months after the in-person training to all virtual-classroom courses offered in the Core Essentials Program (CEP). The course content and textbooks are identical to the in-person class offered at RU. CEP is attractive to those coaching students around the world who cannot attend an in-person program or who want to spread the training out over a longer period.
After completing the program, participants qualify to upgrade into other advanced coaching programs (Coach U's Advanced Coaching Program or Corporate Coach U's Advanced Corporate Coaching Program to learn advanced personal, business, executive and corporate coaching skills.
Professional Business Coaching Programme
This programme will enable you to build knowledge and skills in professional coaching to support your organisation in creating sustainable performance at individual and company levels. The programme (formerly known as the CoachTrax coaching programme) is approved by the internationally recognised International Coach Federation (ICF), as an Approved Coach-Specific Training Hours (ACSTH) Programme.
Coaching is a powerful intervention to enhance performance, embed sustainable change and develop strong and resilient leadership in organisations. Corporate institutions are the largest and most dominant buyers of coaching as a service as it has a direct benefit for creating sustainable growth through strong leadership and a pool of talented people.
The GIBS Coaching Programme is part of the GIBS Personal and Applied Learning (PAL) portfolio – an initiative that generates world-class theory and practice for optimal individual effectiveness, learning and development.
GIBS 'Personal and Applied Learning' (PAL) unit focuses on developing design approaches as well as using faculty expertise to deliver integrated and personalised learning processes.
In this way, every individual who attends a GIBS programme can optimise their learning experience, maximise their return on effort and feel equipped to customise their application in their unique workplace roles. In complex and competitive business environments and dynamic markets, engaging an individual's optimal learning process is increasingly important for continuous and agile development and for sustainable and scalable impact in their organisations.
At the end of the programme, delegates will be issued with a GIBS Professional Business Coaching Programme Certificate. This means that delegates would have accumulated all the necessary training hours towards an ICF credential, should they wish to pursue the application (along with an independent application and additional practical requirements). Please note that in order to qualify for this Certificate, full classroom attendance is required, as stipulated by the ICF.
Assessment / Evaluation
- This consists of observed coaching sessions, feedback and independent study confirmation.
- The programme is experiential in nature and blends theory with practice in a way that can be integrated and applied back at work. One of the ICF requirements is that a certain number of coaching sessions are observed by ICF credentialed coaches. This happens during the programme and in the individual mentor-coach session. By the end of the programme, participants will have observed coaching practice, gained feedback from ICF coaches, and received assessment results to ensure they leave feeling confident in their coaching skills. In addition, the ICF requires that GIBS validates that participants have completed the independent study attached to the programme in accordance with ICF requirements.
International Coach Federation (ICF)
- The ICF is a global organisation that exists to build, support and preserve the integrity of the coaching profession. It is dedicated to advancing the art, science and practice of professional coaching. Global membership now exceeds 20,000 and many members go on to obtain an ICF credential. There are now more than 10,000 credentialed coaches worldwide. There are three levels of credentialing: ACC (Associate Certified Coach), PCC (Professional Certified Coach and MCC (Master Certified Coach).
- The programme is comprised of two modules consisting of three days each (total of six contact days) and a 90 minute individual mentor-coach session with an ICF credentialed coach in between blocks. Participants need to bring one voice recording of a real coaching session to the mentor-coach session. The programme also includes five fully-observed coaching triad sessions by an ICF-credentialed observer which includes three written feedback reports. At the end of the programme delegates will be issued with a GIBS BCC certificate of completion. They will also have accumulated all the necessary training hours towards an ICF credential should they choose to (along with an independent application and additional practical requirements) apply for ICF accreditation.
How you will benefit
This programme will offer you the opportunity to gain an understanding of and build skills in:
- Core ICF coaching competencies;
- Coaching competencies within an organisational context;
- Aligning organisational cultures and leadership frameworks within coaching;
- Ethics of coaching within an organisational context;
- The distinction between coaching, consulting, therapy, counselling and mentoring;
- Coaching approaches used in the South African business context (including Narrative, Integral, Neuroleadership, Emotional and Social Intelligence, and Gestalt) which will you to distinguish between different coaching approaches and enable your choice of continued training in alignment with personal orientation; and
- Self-awareness of personal views and orientation toward different coaching approaches (use of self in coaching).
Who should attend
- Coaches who would like to become professionally qualified, gain more ICF-approved training and enhance their coaching skills.
- Managers and leaders in business who would like to add coaching as a skill to their repertoire or enhance their skills through a rigorous training programme.
- Learning and development and HR professionals who are interested in understanding the different theoretical underpinnings and core foundational skills of coaching.
- Participants may be internal coaches, or those who coach informally in their organisations.