Who should attend
The Financial Planning Certificate Program is designed for anyone pursuing CFP® certification, including professionals in the fields of investment brokerage, insurance, banking, accounting and the law. In addition, professionals from other industries who want to make a career change and are looking for rigorous instruction in financial planning are encouraged to enroll.
About the course
Estate Planning provides an introduction to estate planning challenges, techniques and taxation. You’ll learn about wills, intestacy and tax consequences of estate planning techniques.
This 11-week course is the fifth module in the Financial Planning Certificate Program and is offered throughout the year on DePaul's Loop campus and online.
- Methods of property transfer at death
- Estate planning documents
- Gifting strategies
- Gift taxation and compliance
- Incapacity planning
- Estate tax calculation and compliance
- Satisfying liquidity needs
- Powers of appointment
- Types, features and taxation of trusts
- Qualified interest trusts
- Charitable giving
- Use of life insurance in estate planning
- Valuation issues
- Marital deduction
- Deferral and minimization of estate taxes
- Intra-family and other business transfer techniques
- Disposition of estate
- Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax (GSTT)
- Fiduciary responsibilities
- Income in Respect of a Decedent (IRD)
In her thirty-plus year career as a financial educator, Carla Gordon, CFP®, MSFS has enabled thousands of candidates to pass rigorous licensing and designation examinations including the Certified Financial Planner (CFP® ) Examination. As an exam instructor, Carla is known for her ability to simp...
Howard L. Sorkin started his career in financial services in 1972 as an independent insurance broker, became a registered stockbroker, and in 1974, joined the Mid-America Commodity Exchange. In 1977, he joined the Chicago Board of Trade as an Associate Member in the emerging financial futures mar...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.