About the course
Estate Planning provides an introduction to estate planning challenges, techniques and taxation. You’ll learn about wills, intestacy and tax consequences of estate planning techniques.
This 11-week course is the fifth module in the Financial Planning Certificate Program and is offered throughout the year on DePaul's Loop campus and online.
- Methods of property transfer at death
- Estate planning documents
- Gifting strategies
- Gift taxation and compliance
- Incapacity planning
- Estate tax calculation and compliance
- Satisfying liquidity needs
- Powers of appointment
- Types, features and taxation of trusts
- Qualified interest trusts
- Charitable giving
- Use of life insurance in estate planning
- Valuation issues
- Marital deduction
- Deferral and minimization of estate taxes
- Intra-family and other business transfer techniques
- Disposition of estate
- Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax (GSTT)
- Fiduciary responsibilities
- Income in Respect of a Decedent (IRD)
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.