Who should attend
- Policy analysts, strategists, and government professionals in policy functions, with more than 2 years of work experience
- Anyone requiring an introduction and exposure to policy-making and programme development
About the course
Public sector managers and policymakers must deliver timely, high-quality and workable solutions to complex and constantly evolving socio-political, economic and sectoral challenges. This demands a thorough understanding of how to formulate and execute policies with real impact, how to identify problems on the ground and what are the different approaches to distinct, yet interrelated policy issues.
Essentials of Policy Development imparts detailed foundational knowledge and theoretical frameworks of the policy development process, from conceptualising public policy to evaluating options and measuring outcomes and impact. The programme combines interactive lectures, discussions of policy case studies, site visits, and facilitated group work to complement conceptual learning with practical training.
- Understand the policy cycle and the gaps that need to be addressed in policy development
- Acquire the political, administrative and analytical acumen needed to shape policy development
- Adopt a comprehensive and multi-faceted approach to analysing, developing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating, and communicating public policies
- Acquire and sharpen technical skills in each stage of the policy development process
- Learn different analytical, decision-making, evaluation and communication tools
- Learn how to map, manage and communicate with stakeholders, organisations and the general public
Ed is both an academic and a practitioner, trained in politics, economics, institutions and governance. Ed has received numerous international and local awards and recognitions, including fellowships from the research centres of 3 Nobel laureates (in economics); the Ostrom Prize for the Governanc...
A Fulbright Scholar, Dr. Reuben Ng trained as a behavioural scientist at NUS, Oxford and Yale. He spent 16 years in government, consulting, and research. In government, he was in the Prime Minister’s Office driving evidence-based policymaking through data analytics and Singapore's Smart Nation st...
Kenneth Paul TAN is an Associate Professor at the National University of Singapore’s (NUS) Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, where he has taught since 2007 and served as its fourth Vice Dean for Academic Affairs from 2013 to 2017. From 2000 to 2007, he taught at NUS’s University Scholars Prog...
Caroline Brassard worked as an economist for the Government of Ontario in Canada, and then undertook research and long term consultancy work on poverty reduction strategies for several international non-governmental organisations in developing countries, including United Nations Children’s Fund i...
DR. ADRIAN KUAH Head (Case Studies Unit) & Senior Research Fellow, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy Adrian Kuah is Head of Case Studies Unit and Senior Research Fellow at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy. His research interests include futures studies, complexity science, and poli...
James Crabtree is an Associate Professor in Practice at the LKY school, as well as a senior fellow at the Centre on Asia and Globalisation (CAG). He initially joined the school as a Senior Visiting Research Fellow in 2016, on sabbatical from his previous job at the Financial Times. Between 2011 a...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.