Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Stephen M. Ross School of Business.Full disclaimer.
About the course
Whether designing the future of your existing business, initiating a response to sub-par business performance, or getting ready to accept new executive responsibilities, this program will challenge your assumptions to help you build a logical, complete and thoughtful process to successfully assess and capitalize on the opportunity ahead.
Creating a description of and deep understanding of the current business model provides a baseline starting point for understanding the business as it stands. An evaluation of the current model will help to uncover both its strengths and shortcomings revealing opportunities for improvement. You will then develop the business case that justifies the proposed changes to address these opportunities and describes your path toward successful implementation.
This program describes the overall process in detail, offers illustrations of complete models for businesses and business functions and provides you with an opportunity to work on an application of the ideas to a business or function of your choosing. You will return to work with a better approach to addressing the key responsibilities of a business executive--understanding, critiquing and refining the way you and your company does business.
- Redefine the key roles and responsibilities of enterprise executives
- Re-describe the business principles underlying executive activities
- Illustrate the application of these business principles through case examples, the personal experiences of program participants and workshops that focus on current business challenges
- Develop and critique the business model currently used in each participant's organization
- Create and present the business case for changes to the existing business model
GENERAL MANAGEMENT PERSPECTIVE
- Make your business drive the competition, not follow them
- Seek clarity and transparency in your decision-making process
- Shatter assumptions about your decision-making process
- Clearly link the value you create to your actions, and your team's actions
MIND OF THE CUSTOMER
- Make sure you have the right customers
- Focus on creating a more competitive customer value proposition
- More effectively anticipate client future needs
- Reach your customers the way they want to be reached
MIND OF THE SUPPLIER
- Review the effectiveness of your supply chain process
- Re-examine what all your suppliers want from you
- Maximize the value your suppliers can deliver
- Reassess 'buy or make' decisions based on changing business climate
MIND OF YOUR TALENT
- Update your talent planning process to meet the changing needs of the talent pool
- Renew team clarity regarding which positions are key to support the business strategy
- Ensure your talent assessment process uncovers and addresses the needs of current talent in key positions
MIND OF THE INVESTOR
- Maximize the effectiveness of your everyday cash flow management process
- Ensure consistency of all team members in addressing liquidity management
- Examine the effectiveness of your financial Investment and financial performance process
TAKEAWAYS & TOOLS
- Create a new business model designed to capitalize on identified opportunities
- Gain a deep understanding of the key roles and responsibilities of business executives: perception, direction, judgment, oversight and performance discipline
- Develop a new lens to view competitiveness in product, talent and financial markets through a new understanding of stakeholder objectives and the relationships among them
- Enhanced critical thinking: the essential skill for every business executive
- Re-examined principles of value creation, the key basis for business decisions
Who should attend
- Leaders of business functions who are recently promoted to general manager roles, or preparing for general management roles
- Senior-level executives seeking innovative approaches to prepare for their next level of leadership responsibility
- Executives seeking a proven approach to consistently assess daunting enterprise challenges
- Executives responsible for P&L and charged with transforming their business
Trust the experts
Research Brad Killaly is the Associate Dean for the Full Time and Global MBA Programs. He returned to his alma mater in 2014, when he joined the Strategy facutly here at Ross. Prior to Ross, he was a faculty member at Emory University. He has also been a visiting professor of strategy at Univ...
Research Ray Reilly's current research focuses on corporate performance measurement. Titles of recent papers include "Value Measurement: Using a Measure Network to Understand and Deliver Value," "Improving the Quality of Performance Information," and "Performance Measurement for Working Capita...