Who should attend
- Business owners responsible for legal compliance.
- Managers responsible for employees.
- Human Resource Managers, People Managers, Employment Relations Managers and Industrial Relations Managers.
About the course
Understanding and complying with the legal framework for employment relations in New Zealand
Complying with the maze of employment law is essential to any successful and productive workplace. This course provides a practical and easy to understand overview of the employment obligations of managers and employers.
When making decisions, the manager needs to understand the obligations on both the employer and employee and the legal boundaries for decision-making. The course will also cover how to deal with any employment problems that may arise in an efficient and cost effective way.
Employment law in relation to the current Covid-19 crisis.
- Develop greater confidence in your role as a manager.
- Gain a working knowledge of the law allowing more efficient decision making.
- Become more confident managing employees knowing the constraints and consequences of any decisions made.
- Develop knowledge of how to manage union related issues.
- Increase your ability to problem solve potential employment issues.
Your organisation will:
- Enhance productivity in the workplace.
- Avoid incurring costs from mishandled employment issues, e.g. personal grievances.
- Save legal costs by avoiding legal pitfalls and managing legal issues correctly.
- Increase its ability to manage employment related issues with unions.
The course will address the suite of legislation that applies to the workplace including the Employment Relations Act 2000, Holidays Act 2003, Privacy Act 1993 and Health and Safety at Work Act 2015.
We will examine:
- How to negotiate an employment agreement and the legal requirements of employment agreements.
- Employees vs contractors.
- The role of good faith.
- The role of unions and the collective bargaining process.
- Termination of employment, including trial periods and redundancy. Managing performance.
- Health and safety obligations.
- Dispute resolution procedures including mediation and the Employment Relations Authority.
- The complicated issue of holidays including: public holidays, annual holidays, sick leave, bereavement leave and parental leave and employment protection.
All of the topics covered affect every workplace irrespective of size and the manager will need to understand these legal obligations.
- Working from home
- Health and Safety
- Government assistance - programmes you can apply for
Scott Worthy is Senior Associate at Kiely Thompson Caisley, New Zealand’s leading boutique employment law firm. Scott has broad experience advising on the full range of employment law issues. He frequently provides advice on restructuring and redundancy, managing employee performance, disciplin...
Videos and materials
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.