UNSW Business School
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.
About the course
Step up to the challenge of management and leadership.
Stepping up to a management role requires a new skillset. The Emerging Manager Program takes you from technical expert to compelling leader ready to motivate and inspire team culture and performance.
What you'll learn
This intensive course will accelerate your capability and prepare you to step up to the challenge of leadership. You’ll build a management toolkit and return to work with the confidence to:
- Align organisational vision, values and strategy with team goals, actions and performance management systems
- Coach and mentor team members
- Identify and initiate opportunities for growth, change and innovation
- Embrace diversity and build a collaborative team culture
- Adapt your leadership style to situation and context
- Understand ethics and integrity and better balance personal and business needs
- Successfully implement your personal action plan
How you’ll learn
This intensive, residential course takes you on a journey from functional or technical expert to compelling leader. Through a blend of group activity, coaching and expert presentations you will be challenged to become a stronger manager and leader. Taking place over four days, you will stay at our residential conference facilities in Sydney’s eastern suburbs (accommodation and catering is included in your program fee.)
Working with your peers and the course team, you will use your 360 feedback results to create a development plan, supported by clear goals, feedback mechanisms and a post-program coaching session.
You will return to work with increased competence, confidence and a toolkit to kick start your management career.
Emotional intelligence and communication
This highly interactive session will heighten your awareness of yourself and other and build the skills to develop relationships, increase trust and engage others. This session will focus on:
- Emotional intelligence frameworks and techniques
- Emotional cues and management
- Authentic and assertive communication
Personal effectiveness and resilience
Break through the noise and increase productivity. This session will focus on:
- Analysing and debriefing your 360 degree feedback and team management profile
- Decision-making frameworks and determining what to “do, dump or delegate.”
- Managing energy rather than time and enhancing your wellbeing
- Work/life balance
People, performance and continuous improvement
Aligning organisational strategy and team activity is critical to successful leadership. This session will focus on:
- Developing and aligning team and organisational visions
- Cascading your vision into focus areas, priorities and goals
- Identifying opportunities and overcoming challenges
The challenge of leadership
The business context has changed dramatically in the last decade, fundamentally changing leadership. This session will focus on:
- The concepts of management and leadership
- The impact of rapidly changing technology
- Addressing the challenges of leadership
Diversity and team culture
Managing a team often involves bridging the gap of generational, personality or cultural differences. This session will focus on:
- Understanding and leveraging diversity
- Addressing the challenges and capitalising on the opportunities
Saul is a management consultant, facilitator and coach with over twenty years leadership experience in financial services and ICT. He has a passion for driving business performance through people and a keen interest in innovation, the way leaders and organisations foster and harness the creative ...
For the past thirty-five years I have been practicing as an organisational psychologist with a special interest in assisting individuals, groups and organisations lead and manage change. I have come to appreciate that almost all change at any level, involves different combinations of losses and g...
Sally White is an organisational psychologist holding both a masters and a PhD in Clinical Psychology. For more than two decades, Sally has worked with organisations across the Asia Pacific to develop the leadership capability of people managers. Sally White is an organisational psychologist h...
Some reviews for this course are not publicly available