Who should attend
- Healthcare professionals
- Medical professionals, including doctors, nurses, and aides
- Physical therapists
- Wellness coaches
- Personal trainers
- Health educators and coaches
- Corporate wellness and HR professionals
About the course
In this course, you will use a variety of tools and techniques to help clients set achievable goals and stay motivated. You will identify the top techniques and tips that are specifically applicable to your style of counseling or that can best help you grow as a communicator in your field, and use them to compile a resource for future practice. You will practice applying empathy in order to find out what truly matters to your clients and apply that valuable information to goal setting. You will conduct a motivational interviewing session with a colleague, or friend to practice your skills in a real-life setting, reflect on what you did well and what you would change, and receive helpful feedback from the course facilitator. Finally, you will use five best practices to create your own script for a conversation in which you help a client set a realistic and actionable goal.
It is recommended to only take this course if you have completed Understanding the Person and Understanding the Deeper Need or have equivalent experience.
Key course takeaways
- Apply empathy to your approach in order to find what is most important to the client
- Practice motivational interviewing to resolve client ambivalence and stir their internal motivation
- Identify client cues and readiness in order to transition to goal setting
- Execute a motivational interview
- Recognize what is valuable for setting a goal (based on verbal and nonverbal communication from the client)
- Determine realistic, actionable goals with the client (and for the client) based on the client's wants and motivations
- Increase the use of empathy within your practice
Beth is the Director of Cornell Wellness. She received her bachelor’s degree from Cornell University and her master’s degree in health education from SUNY Cortland. In addition, Beth is a certified health education specialist. With previous experience in both clinical and community nutrition, Bet...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.