Effective Writing for Business
Strategies for Writing Reader-Focused Emails, Letters and Proposals
Former course title: Power Writing for Business Leaders
This program employs a unique strategic approach to writing effective business documents. You will learn to apply a reader-focused mindset for planning, organizing, drafting, refining and evaluating messages that capture the interest and commitment of busy readers. You will also engage in skill building exercises designed to increase your proficiency as a writer of impactful emails, letters and business proposals.
You will complete an online survey to identify your learning goals and writing proficiency.
- Apply effective strategic planning and writing tactics for enhanced fluency and readability
- Plan your messages to become more reader-focused
- Adapt your writing style, content and format to engage different reader styles
- Write emails, letters and proposals that are more consistent, concise and clear
- Improve the tone and impact of your emails and letters
- Learn techniques for writing more persuasive proposals
- Apply time-saving techniques to overcome “brain fog”
- Writing to engage diverse readers: identifying and appealing to diverse reader styles, evaluating your message from a reader’s perspective
- Writing reader-focused emails: engaging readers through an email format, clarifying the reading purpose and achieving consistency, choosing precise and concise words, striking a positive tone
- Planning emails and letters: keeping the message focused, conveying routine information, bad news and value-added benefits
- Planning proposals: organizing and sequencing the structure, appealing to readers and creating a sense of urgency, overcoming "brain fog," building a persuasive case for approval
- Guidelines for writing efficiently: mapping key ideas before you write, exploring patterns to determine your key message and idea components, getting your ideas on paper spontaneously, evaluating your first draft, refining the second draft
You will work both individually and in groups to plan, draft and refine clear, concise and convincing reader-focused messages for emails, letters and proposals.
You will also receive various tools for writing correctly and effectively.
Who should attend
Business professionals who want to improve their planning and writing skills in order to engage a diverse readership for their emails, letters and proposals.